AG#2 - What would you make with these ingredient?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Well I have a few days off of work now, and made my first all grain back in December last year. With everything that has been going on since, I have not had a chance to get around to doing my next batch, I now plan to do this over the next few days along with converting my fridge into a fermentation chamber/beer fridge with taps in the door.

The ingredients that I bought are just on their BBE, but are all still sealed and need to be milled. I originally purchased them to make a chocolate stout, but have since lost the recipe :doh: . So I am hoping that by posting what I do have, I will get a few ideas, I plan to do this BIAB if it makes any difference.

So here we go, list as follows:

4x 1KG bags of marris otter EBC 4.8
1x 1KG chocolate malt EBC 933
1x 500g caramel malt crystal malt EBC 25
100g Northern brewer pellets 2011 harvest Alpha acid 10.6%
100g EKG 2011 harvest alpha acid 5.5%

EDIT

I also have a 1kg box of scotish oats, as the receipe was going to be a chocolate oatmeal stout from memory

Yeast wise, I have safale s-04 but can buy something different if need be

Well hopefully someone has some ideas, thanks in advance!
:thumb:

I would say those ingredients are great for a mild or stout.
Do you have Graham Wheelers book?

I do have graham wheelrs book, I am just looking online to try and find the recipe I was going to go with, but I am open to ideas :cheers: A nice stout would go down well, but as it would only be my second all grain, and I have had a 6 month break, I am a bit lost as to what to make with it. Whatever I end up making I will just use as a way of a learning curve, then I hope to put in a large order as I have quite a few things I want to give a go :thumb:

maris, 500g crystal and a little choc for darkening, ekg at 60 15 and 5 mins, go for a high OG, mash mid range and enjoy an ESB over the autumn months :thumb:

Cheers Rob! I aim to get this going by Friday, so I may very well end up following your suggestion :thumb:

In need of a bit of help now, this seems to have stuck at 1.020 for a few weeks, I have tried stiring up the yeast and also raising the temperature. I'm in two mins what to do, either pitch another packet of the same yeast, or I have read other people suggesting pitching champagne yeast.... Does anyone have a suggestion on this?

I'm not sure if it's a stuck ferment, or if its my fault for mashing too high. Part way through the mash the temp dropped about 5c , so I set the Burco boiler on 'low' and watched it for 10 mins, the temp stayed spot on, but after about 20 mins or so, the alarm was ringing as the temp had gone up 2c or so above what it should have been. I did mix in some cold water to bring the temp down for the remainder of the 90 min mash, but I am concerned that perhaps the grain sitting at the bottom of the boiler where the elements are got far too hot and extracted unfermentables, hence the 1.020 reading I have.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas, but I have a feeling this post may get missed, so I may post a more detailed thread elsewhere when I get home and have access to a pc .

Any help would be great though, thanks all and have a good Friday the 13th!!

WOODEFORDES PHOENIX XXX

Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 11.7 (EBC): 23.1
Bitterness (IBU): 39.3 (Average)

90.29% Pale Malt
9.71% Crystal malt

2.2 g/L Golding (6.25% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Golding (6.25% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Irish Moss @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Safale S-04

19l brew should be about right for what you have

I take it from that, you have made it, is there anything you would compare it to that's available in a shop?

Ahh I know some people that would like that, I will keep this bookmarked , thanks for the info

Back