AG#4 bitter thingymebob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Next up a chuck it in and see recipe, mainly because I really really like ag#1 but wanted to tweak it a bit and see what happens.

4kg hook head irish malt
100gm crystal 340
100gm caramalt
20gm black patent

20l mash at 65c for 60mins
Squeeze like hell and sparge with 2l water at 80c
Another squeeze and I got 19l for the boil

15gm challenger at 60min
15gm fuggles at 15min
15gm EKG at 15min
Protofloc at 10min
20gm fuggles at 0min

60min boil and ended up with 16l in the kettle and 14l in the fv.

It's currently cooling in the fv and will take an OG tomorrow and if required I'll dilute it to an OG of 1.050.
sf-04 ale yeast to complete!

Good luck with this, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I was pleased with my own AG#4, also a bitter, which i tasted yesterday - in hindsight i think I over-carbonated it a little, and moreover i don't think i quite nailed it. Still, plenty more beers to brew and plenty more time to work on it :cheers3:

according to brewers friend its supposed to come out at with an SRM of 10 - so mid to pale - as i only used 20gm of black and 100gm of 340 crystal. but of course they ve changed all the ingredient listing so its not as easy to decide which is which now, as all my bags are in EBC and the ingredients are now listed in L....

but checked the OG just now and its 1.063 - oooof - need 4 litres to water that down to a sensible 1.050!

Just banged it into BrewTarget and its not as dark as I thought it would be
upload_2019-1-27_10-58-49.png

Theres a converter here too https://www.brewtoad.com/tools/color-converter

Took a sneaky taste as the pet bottles are forming up nicely, so thought I'd open one to see what it's like.

Blurgh!
Now I know what people refer to when they talk about bandaid or TCP flavoured off beer.
Blurgh!

Tried a second bottle and it's the same.
Do I bother leaving it or just dump it now and be done with it?

I had a quick panic about ag5 and ag6, as both reused the yeast from this brew. I was stressing that this off flavour was due to an infection and would have therefore ruined my other 2 brews. But it hasn't. Bottles ag5 and it's lovely and ag6 smells great, so I can only presume this bandaid flavour is from something like an incorrect mash temp or something.
I used a new digital temp probe on my last two brews, as I found the thermostat was a bit wayward on my boiler, so probably mash temp.

So question remains, will it come good or is it a dumper?

So question remains, will it come good or is it a dumper?
You'll have to wait and see, I'm afraid. Band aid flavours are most often associated with phenols, though, and unlikely to fade. But what's the harm in giving it a few weeks or months to find out?

Latest posts

Back