AG Wheat beer aftertaste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abiruth

Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently made my first AG wheat beer. It's had a week at room temp and a week in the fridge. I know it's too early etc etc but since I first bottled it I noticed a distinct different taste. I've just tried it today and it's not as obvious but still there. At first the beer tastes citrusy and refreshing, then creamy. Then the hops kick in and then finally there's a very distinct aftertaste. No idea how to explain it, it must be grain related (presumably wheat). It kind of fills my mouth and is quite dry and possibly slightly bitter.
So I just want to know is this normal for a wheat beer? My recipe is below:

500g wheat
438g Maris otter
81g Lager malt (dregs I had hanging around)

Hops
Hallertau mittlefrueh 2g (60 mins)
Hallertau mittlefrueh 3g (30 mins)
Hallertau mittlefrueh 5g (15 mins)
Hallertau mittlefrueh 10g dry hop
Saaz 10g dry hop

Yes, that's from wheat. Other grains impart this too, even 6-row barley malt. That's why brewers use 2-row. ;)

+ 1 to that and apart from the wrong yeast and way too much hops (hops should not be noticeable, dry hopping with 20g is same as 100g in a 23l brew ) ibu should be around 12-15 , i would say its tanin . Did you sparge too hot or too long ? And if you want a good tasty wheat without that german banana thing going on try wlp320 (i think) american wheat beer , its nice clean and crisp .

Many thanks guys. I added the additional dry hopping as I wasn't too happy with the balance. I added the saaz as thought the mittlefrueh alone wasn't all that nice aromawise (I think I may be becoming a saaz addict). Yeast wise I avoided wheat yeasts partially cost partially to avoid bananarama. Thanks for the tip on the wlp320. Yep I do think tanin could be an issue.
Anyway I'll let it condition a couple more weeks then see how it tastes. It's a nice drink so it won't get wasted.

:drink:

+1 for the too many hops suggestion; they should not dominate a wheat beer.
If you don't like the phenolic flavours that a lot of the dedicated wheat beer yeast give off, I can definitely recommend Safale US-05 which gives a lovely flavour for ales and can also be used for American-style, Blue Moon-esque wheat beers.

Latest posts

Back