AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMcBrewFace

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Ive been kit brewing for a while and just inherited a load of crushed malt and hops. Can anyone recommend a recipe for a newbie with whats below?

I know the basics of an AG brew and the processes just never done it. Also after advice for the steep/boils as i dont have any large pans. Would a 20 litre tea urn do the job?

Anyway i have multiple bags of...
Northern brewer
Fuggles
Styrian goldings bobek
Target
Chinook
Citra
Kent goldings.

750g of black crushed malt
1.5kg of low col chocolate
750g flaked barley
750g flaked maize.

I can order additonal kit if needed.

Cheers guys!

Hi guys,

Ive been kit brewing for a while and just inherited a load of crushed malt and hops. Can anyone recommend a recipe for a newbie with whats below?

I know the basics of an AG brew and the processes just never done it. Also after advice for the steep/boils as i dont have any large pans. Would a 20 litre tea urn do the job?

Northern brewer
Fuggles
Styrian goldings bobek
Target
Chinook
Citra
Kent goldings.

750g flaked barley
750g flaked maize.

Cheers guys!

First off you're going to need some base malt (marris otter/pale malt/pale ale malt/ whatever) to do anything. You got what you need for dark beer (stout, porter, mild or brown ale)

First off you're going to need some base malt (marris otter/pale malt/pale ale malt/ whatever) to do anything. You got what you need for dark beer (stout, porter, mild or brown ale)

Thats good as i like stouts a porter more than anything.
When you say a base malt do you mean more grain? Extract? Sorry just asking tbe silly questions!

Hi guys,

Northern brewer
Fuggles
Styrian goldings bobek
Target
Chinook
Citra
Kent goldings.

750g flaked barley
750g flaked maize.

Cheers guys!
You could do with some base malt. What you have might suit a stout or brown ale and you might choose Maris Otter for that?

A tea urn will do the job just fine. I use a modified 30l water heater, see it in my brewday post.

You could do with some base malt. What you have might suit a stout or brown ale and you might choose Maris Otter for that?

A tea urn will do the job just fine. I use a modified 30l water heater, see it in my brewday post.

Good to know.

How much of everything would i need for a 10lt batch?

Thats good as i like stouts a porter more than anything.
When you say a base malt do you mean more grain? Extract? Sorry just asking tbe silly questions!
Good to know.

Yes more grain. As HB says marris otter will be good. It depends on how strong you want your beer but 2kg will be enough for a 5% beer or less

Yes more grain. As HB says marris otter will be good. It depends on how strong you want your beer but 2kg will be enough for a 5% beer or less

Jesus this is working out pretty cheep. 2kg for a 10 liter batch?

Does anyone have a recipie/link to one? I can search myself but first time if prefer recommendation 😂

Jesus this is working out pretty cheep. 2kg for a 10 liter batch?

Does anyone have a recipie/link to one? I can search myself but first time if prefer recommendation 😂

Yup. I do 10L batches and normally use around 2kg per batch. What do you want to make stout, porter, mild or brown ale. Most of the recipes from the Greg Hughes bible are solid

Yup. I do 10L batches and normally use around 2kg per batch. What do you want to make stout, porter, mild or brown ale. Most of the recipes from the Greg Hughes bible are solid
Stout or porter to start with. Definitely want yo try and make a Shipyard APA clone as well. But stout/porter as i have the kit!

I'll look him up in a sec

I'll just post the Dry Stout recipe from his book here. Which hop do you want to use? Tbh, it doesnt matter a huge amount as their is only one boil addition at the start. But the reciepe uses East Kent Golding. I'll need to know the alpha acid percentage.

I'll just post the Dry Stout recipe from his book here. Which hop do you want to use? Tbh, it doesnt matter a huge amount as their is only one boil addition at the start. But the reciepe uses East Kent Golding. I'll need to know the alpha acid percentage.

I have no opinion on what hops are used if im honest. Youd think as i actuary work for Lovibond I'd know a bit more about all this!

Kent goldings 5.4%
Chinook 13.4%
Citra 12.7%
Norther brewer 7%
Styrian goldings 4.4%
Fuggles 5%
Target 12.5%

Good to know.

This would of course depend on your recipe but as you’re starting with what you have, a good base addition would be about 2.5Kg of Maris Otter. You don’t want a lot of your specialty malts, maybe 200g of the chocolate malt? I might use Fuggles for a recipe like this, maybe 15g for bittering and another 30g as a late addition for flavour. I would brew at a higher temperature to get a little extra sweetness and body, 155F - 160F (don’t go any higher).

If you want something with a bit more interest I would add some crystal malt too and maybe some brown malt, possibly 200g of each.

If you like a sweeter brew, also add some lactose at the end of the boil, 100g might be enough unless you like thick sticky beers, in which case 300g (I do sometimes, only dark beers mind!).

Sorry, I might be drifting a bit from your original request!

This would of course depend on your recipe but as you’re starting with what you have, a good base addition would be about 2.5Kg of Maris Otter. You don’t want a lot of your specialty malts, maybe 200g of the chocolate malt? I might use Fuggles for a recipe like this, maybe 15g for bittering and another 30g as a late addition for flavour. I would brew at a higher temperature to get a little extra sweetness and body, 155F - 160F (don’t go any higher).

If you want something with a bit more interest I would add some crystal malt too and maybe some brown malt, possibly 200g of each.

If you like a sweeter brew, also add some lactose at the end of the boil, 100g might be enough unless you like thick sticky beers, in which case 300g (I do sometimes, only dark beers mind!).

Sorry, I might be drifting a bit from your original request!

No its good! As ive not done this before any knowledge is good!
I'll just get the old slide rule out and convert that to celcius 😂.

What would i use the black malt for then? Knowones mentioning that one

Greg HughesDry Stout

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.52 %
Colour (SRM): 31.9 (EBC): 62.7
Bitterness (IBU): 36.0 (Average)

1.65kg Maris Otter Malt
217g Flaked Barley
195g Roasted Barley
43g Chocolate, Pale

23g East Kent Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

The grain amounts are a bit odd because I put the orginal 23L recipe into brewing software and just punched in '10L' and that's what they came out as. I can round them i if it helps. Personally being a tight/poor git I'd use the the Target as it's a higher AA% so you can use less. You'd need only 10g to get the same bitterness level. As you can see you'll need to get some roasted barley along with the Marris Otter. You could possibly use black malt instead of RB but I'm not sure what the effect would be as Black malt has a strong flavour, so it's probably better to get some RB in. Use whatever yeast you like. I like notty/Wilko ale yeast for dry stouts

No its good! As ive not done this before any knowledge is good!
I'll just get the old slide rule out and convert that to celcius 😂.

What would i use the black malt for then? Knowones mentioning that one

68C-70C (Youngsters!! :laugh8: )

Black malt takes the killing of the malt even further than for chocolate malt, you’re moving into burnt territory here so probably best to leave that until you have something drinkable already in production and then give it a try. Think maybe of coffee - the bitter ones with the “rich dark roast” description to make them sound better.

Greg HughesDry Stout

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.52 %
Colour (SRM): 31.9 (EBC): 62.7
Bitterness (IBU): 36.0 (Average)

1.65kg Maris Otter Malt
217g Flaked Barley
195g Roasted Barley
43g Chocolate, Pale

23g East Kent Golding (5.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

The grain amounts are a bit odd because I put the orginal 23L recipe into brewing software and just punched in '10L' and that's what they came out as. I can round them i if it helps. Personally being a tight/poor git I'd use the the Target as it's a higher AA% so you can use less. You'd need only 10g to get the same bitterness level. As you can see you'll need to get some roasted barley along with the Marris Otter. Use whatever yeast you like. I like notty/Wilko ale yeast for dry stouts

Looks good! What software do you use? Sounds useful!

Im looking at a teaurn at the moment so a 23 litre batch may be possible! L

God i need more beer bottles too! Glad i still have my job in the current climate or i have to put this off till the winter!

68C-70C (Youngsters!! :laugh8: )

Black malt takes the killing of the malt even further than for chocolate malt, you’re moving into burnt territory here so probably best to leave that until you have something drinkable already in production and then give it a try. Think maybe of coffee - the bitter ones with the “rich dark roast” description to make them sound better.

I thought that was the case. I do like a nice bitter burnt porter but not too many of them for sure. 👍

Looks good! What software do you use? Sounds useful!

Im looking at a teaurn at the moment so a 23 litre batch may be possible! L

God i need more beer bottles too! Glad i still have my job in the current climate or i have to put this off till the winter!

Brewmate. Its free to download. Im not sure about tea urns. Whilst I know you could do it in the tea urn I'm not sure what extra you need for the urn (such as hop fillters etc). I use a 15L stock pot for my 10L brews

Brewmate. Its free to download. Im not sure about tea urns. Whilst I know you could do it in the tea urn I'm not sure what extra you need for the urn (such as hop fillters etc). I use a 15L stock pot for my 10L brews

Ah im an electrical engineer so im going to modify it for my needs. If i get it anyway!

Latest posts

Back