Modern mild - am I really the only brewer who makes it?

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Jim Brewster

Malt teaser
Reaction score
Did you use a yeast calculator to work out that you needed a starter and what size starter did you make?
Reused it from a previous brew so knew there was more than enough.. definitely overpitched. It was going like the clappers within a few hours

Last edited:

obscure

Perpetually Confused
Reaction score
Do low ABV beers generally finish fermentation very quickly? I brewed a sort of a mild this week with a yeast starter and within 24 hours the krausen was already dropping. This is the first time I've brewed a beer in the 3-4% range. I'm going to stick it in a mini keg but I'll probably wait another few days at the least
This is purely anecdotal but in my experience my ordinary bitters and milds typically ferment very quickly, and I generally find they will ferment out fully in about three to four days, with the bulk of the fermentation in hours 12-36. I mostly use CML yeasts either Midlands (Nottingham) or four (which I assume is S-04).

Fallen trig brewing

Reaction score
I brewed a dark mild at 3.6% before Christmas i dont normally do lower abv beers and had never drank a good dark mild so decided to give it a go

rats_eyes

Reaction score
Another lover of mild here! I'm up in Aberdeen, NE Scotland. We rarely see any mild in the pubs here, with the only exception being Swannay Dark Munro which appears once in a blue moon and is lovely drop. Nearly all the mild I get to drink is my own homebrew. I'd love to see more of it out in the wild.

I'm another convert to mild malt. I also like a bit of pale chocolate malt and flaked barley I don't use invert sugars in mild, so not strictly traditional. Fuggles all the way here, usually bittering only, to around 20 IBUs. I've been using WLP022 Essex Ale yeast for a while after getting a vial last year and growing lots of it. It's got a nice estery character, not fruity, just enough to give it a bit of interest. It may be on it's way out now though so may try something else for a while.

Latest posts