AG5 - Wheat Beer thingymajig

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to check on this tonight, see how its coming along. If it seems done, I was going to dry hop with a bit of amarillo and was thinking of using some more orange zest too. The only thing I'm worried about is the oils in the zest affecting head formation. Anyone had any experience of this? I know people do dry hop with grapefruit zest and so on, but how does it affect the foam?

You should have no problem adding any zest. I have added lemon peel to secondary before and still got great carbonation.
I have experimented with wheat beer quite a lot. Mainly increasing the IBU etc but coming to think its not the best idea with the WLP300 as it overpowers the taste of the yeast and coriander/orange peel.
Best of luck and let us know what it drinks like.

Bottled this tonight. Was clear as a whistle, which for a wheat is wrong, but who cares.

Tasted properly amazing uncarbed. Really, really orangey, so I'm very happy with it.

Bottled this tonight. Was clear as a whistle, which for a wheat is wrong, but who cares.

Tasted properly amazing uncarbed. Really, really orangey, so I'm very happy with it.

Weirdly my wheat beer is the clearest beer I've made yet. It's only been in bottle for a week where it's been sat in the airing cupboard. Just shows you don't need to cold crash everything. How much sugar did you prime with?

Weirdly my wheat beer is the clearest beer I've made yet. It's only been in bottle for a week where it's been sat in the airing cupboard. Just shows you don't need to cold crash everything. How much sugar did you prime with?

I went for 6.5g per litre.

I used 4g per 500ml bottle so 8g per litre. I don't batch prime as most of my bottles are either from a small batch brew or the left overs from filling a keg.

After a week it's carbed up quite nicely and looks the part in a wheat beer glass. Just can't get over how clear it is. I mean crystal clear, not right for a wheat but I didn't use a wheat beer yeast, just US 05, cos I don't like the banana clove thing.

Anyway, glad yours is tasting good. Like the idea of the orange flavour. May have to give it a go.

Cheers

Curiosity got the better of me last night and I opened the crappy bottle that was the last one filled. It was really good, I'm dead happy with how its coming along. It was only bottled last Thursday, but it was already pretty nicely carbed up and formed a nice frothy head when I poured it. It was as clear as a bell and the smell from the Amarillo and the orange was fantastic. For only being in the bottle 6 days, I'm super-pleased with how it tatses. Oh, and I didn't even bother chilling it at all, I just drank it warm, straight from the crate.!!

What's the purpose of putting Irish Moss in a Wheat Beer? Don't you want the protein in suspension?

DA

Funny though recipes in Greg Hughes all still say to put it in??

I never bothered with it though..

Does it have any sort of wheaty taste? or is it more pale ale? I dont suppose it matters what it is if it is nice.. you seem a fan of amarillo right?

Funny though recipes in Greg Hughes all still say to put it in??

I never bothered with it though..

Does it have any sort of wheaty taste? or is it more pale ale? I dont suppose it matters what it is if it is nice.. you seem a fan of amarillo right?

It doesn't taste totally wheaty, but it's not just like another pale ale. It certainly is nice, although I'd add another couple of IBUs to it as it was a TINY bit sweeter than I expected. Not I'm a bad or sickly way though, it's very quaffable.

Yes, Amarillo is top stuff. That and Ahtanum arey top rankers at the moment.

this thread is awesome. :thumb:

I put an orangey hop in to bitter my wheat beer. I had nothing more suitable, but I ended up with orange and banana! - lush

Did you use a weiss yeast DoJ? I'll try using one next time to see how different it is.

Back