Ahhhh I'm an idiot.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypnoticmonkey

Landlord.
Reaction score
1) I ran out of campden tablets last week.
2) I boiled up some blackberries and elderberries on sunday, mashed them and left them to soak on a bucket.
3) I was going to pitch the yeasties today. Turns out I've run out of that too! I only have 2 sachets of beer yeast and a Gervin GV5 white wine yeast.

I had ordered some more yeast cos I knew I was low, and that's *hopefully* going to arrive tomorrow, maybe Thursday. Nearest homebrew supplies place is Wilko, about 20 mins away or EasyHomeBrew about 45 mins away. Don't really want to travel 20 mins for Young's Super Wine Yeast Combo or 45 minutes for just 1 sachet of something a bit better. What to do??

I think I may transfer the juice+sediment to a DJ and stick a bung in it until yeasties arrive in the post...

hypnoticmonkey said:
I think I may transfer the juice+sediment to a DJ and stick a bung in it until yeasties arrive in the post...
Careful, boiling should have killed off any wild yeasties but there's always a possibility some airborne ones could have got in and some fermentation could start up. Use a drilled bung and plug the hole with cotton wool.

I have to say that I would either have simply used the white wine yeast or harvested some active yeast from another brew and used that.

I'll basicaly be using harvested with my elderberries this year. I started the first batch today with 3kg's of early fruit and a Lavin yeast That will ferment on the pulp for three or four days and be transfered to a FV. When I pick the next lot of fruit, I'll scald them and as soon as they're cool, I'll introduce some active yeast from the first brew to start it off. I'll keep on doing that through the elderbery season.

Latest posts

Back