Airlock — need or not??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Dad made beer for many years using a large open topped bucket, he used a clean tea towel over the top held in place with a loop of elastic. He never had a contamination problem with any of the beer he made.

Just how I watched my grandfather make wine and beer as a kid ;-)

I use them, just as I said before, because I have them.

And the noise gets on SWMBO s nerves ;-)

Hi mate heres my 5cents, I don't use an airlock just leave the lid on and every so often release the lid and smell the gas....had no probs so far, As for temp control I bought an stc1000 from e bay £6.50 and wired it up with a heater belt to maintain temp of whatever you set it to +- 1c. It is soooo easy to build.....

Nick nack noo

Hi mate heres my 5cents, I don't use an airlock just leave the lid on and every so often release the lid and smell the gas....had no probs so far, As for temp control I bought an stc1000 from e bay �£6.50 and wired it up with a heater belt to maintain temp of whatever you set it to +- 1c. It is soooo easy to build.....

@Nicknacknoo can you elaborate? This looks like a good, inexpensive option. My Saison is sat in the back room at 17C at night and 19C in the day and, even if not for this first brew, I think I'd like more consistent and higher temps...

I looked at heat belts but couldnt work out how they're supposed to work EG how to wire them up to what... Any instructions of a components list would be great!

Latest posts

Back