Ale, PET bottles and transportation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heftyporker

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have some St peters ruby red ale in my keg. I haven't drunk any yet, it's about 4 weeks old now. I'm driving about 150 miles next week staying for a couple of nights and wondered if there would be any problems with filling up 2 or 3 Pet bottles with my new ale? Problems being, the beer shaking inside the bottles during the drive, how long it will need to settle again...
Will I need to prime the bottles? I think not - seeing as though it would be drunk within a day or two of filling the bottles and it's already been primed in the keg.
Any tips/advice would be appreciated!
HP :P

should be fine, try chilling the bottles first, if your worried about gas loss and flat beer there are systems for re-carbonising pet bottles which comprise of a valve fitted top and a small cartridge co2 injector..
http://www.fizzgiz.com/
I found the above browsing one day and then when visiting my local brewshop was shown a native equivalent..
not a bad investment if you intend to bottle kegged ale a lot?

Haha @Rob ! Did consider it!

Just been looking at these Pet bottle carbonators. Can't find anywhere in the UK that sell them though :(
Might just have to risk flat ale...which I don't mind too much :)

heftyporker said:
Haha @Rob ! Did consider it!

Just been looking at these Pet bottle carbonators. Can't find anywhere in the UK that sell them though :(
Might just have to risk flat ale...which I don't mind too much :)

try
http://www.homebrewcentre.co.uk/product ... 85&cID=249

or google "wigdget world" not cheap tho looks like your buying into a a whole gassing system.. which is why i stopped looking at it all..

RobWalker said:
can that carbonate without sediment?

probably as pet bottles will hold pressure, but i think it would be a very expensive way to buy gas.. and depends on the pressure the valve will hold?

anybody ever tried a grain or 2 of dry ice to force carbonate?? hehe micro drop of water in the cap drop on the grain of dry ice to freeze the water n stick itself to the cap, then cap quickly n shake to carbonate :)

Blimey! £20 quid for a bit of tubing and a couple of caps!
Back to the drawing board! :sick:

I tried transferring Ruby Red from my keg to a bottle and it was just flat when I re-opened the bottle a couple of minutes later. If you find it doesn't happen with you, let me know your secret!!

heftyporker said:
Blimey! £20 quid for a bit of tubing and a couple of caps!
Back to the drawing board! :sick:

More like £40... add £20 for the gas bottle.. u gotta buy into the whole co2 system..

but the caps are fairly cheap so "all" u need is a needle adaptor for your current co2 system
the localish HB shop had some for a quid something each (caps that is), but they are not on his web site.. but are here http://www.hopandgrape.com/public/detai ... PA20253646

Iim using a big cheap cylinder, and know nothing about high pressure gas beyond it deserves respect so am reluctant to turn this one into a lil side project myself.

the caps as far as i can recall just have a soft rubber grommet with a wide flange stuck thru a constricting hole to close the central gap, a needle injector pokes thru to carbonate.. i think the football adaptor needle i have wld be 2 thick..

Latest posts

Back