Amarillo extract

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxxyjazz

Reaction score
Hello all,

After a few kits I'm going to step up my brewing and have a go at an extract brew. I have been given some Amarillo hops, so I was hoping somebody out there has a recipe I can use that will go with the hops.
I'd also appreciate any recipes that would be good for a first timer.

Cheers

M

Hi max, for extract brewing you would want around 3kg of dried malt extract for a 23l brew giving you approx 1050 (around 5%) you would need to say what type of brew are you wanting , a light beer needs extra light dme , a bitter needs medium and so on , also the yeast to match the style like us 05 for bitter . You also need to give us the strength of the hops in aa % (should say on the packet ) . good luck and have fun.

Cheers pittsy, the aa is 10.9%. I'm hopefully getting some us05 yeast from a mate of mine who works at a local brewery, and he was getting me some.
I would like to make either an IPA or golden style beer. I also like them hoppy.

M

Here is a recipe I have using malt extract, and crystal malt.

I'm afraid this is for 5 U.S. gallons (18.9 liters):

The top summary information gives the estimated values with the corresponding BJCP ranges for that style given in parentheses.

Hopzilla IPA
14-B American IPA

Original Gravity: 1.063 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.016 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: SRM = 9.87 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: ABV = 6.25% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: IBU = 45.7 (40.0 - 60.0)

Ingredients:
0.50 oz (14 g) Amarillo (10.4%) - steeped after boil
2.00 oz (57 g) Amarillo (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 3.0 m
1.0 oz (28 g) Amarillo (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m
0.5 oz (14 g) Amarillo (10.4%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 h
0.5 lb (0.2 kg) Caramel Malt 40°L - steeped
2.00 lb (0.9 kg) Unhopped Plain Light - added during boil, boiled 60.0 m
7.0 lb (3.2 kg) Liquid Light Extract - added during boil, boiled 60.0 m
2.0 ea Danstar Nottingham

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.24

I hope this helps.

- Scott

Cheers Scott, I might just have to give that a go. I was hoping to have a brew day today, but I'm still waiting for various parts of equipment I've ordered to arrive. Mainly my new boil pot. But as of yet no luck.
Oh well.

M

Sorry to hear you stuff has not arrived yet.

It is a bummer having to wait when you are ready to go.

This recipe was at the tip of my fingers because I am hoping to brew it tomorrow.

I've brewed this one before and it is quite nice. The hop aroma and flavor are wonderful.

I need to go the the LHBS today and pick up the extracts, crystal malt and probably a bit of sanitizer.

I can hardly wait to brew again.

- Scott

I've just noticed where you are located scott. I bet thats a nice part of the world. What's the weather like at the moment. Is the ice road thawing?

M

Still not received boil pot, but have everything else.
I was going to use a can of liquid malt extract. One thing I thought. Could do is, disolve the contents of the can in warm water. A fixed amount say 3L. My reason for doing this is my boil pot will only be 15L.
This way I can make three brews, and accurately measure the amount of malt I'm using. Trying to measure it neat I'm assuming would be a right pain in the chuff. I'd keep the dissolved malt warm, and make the brews on after the other.
Does this make any sort of sense, or is it worth just buying some dry extract?

M

bitterness will not translate at that volume because you'll lose some of it. there's a few ways you can get around it for a decent extract brew, above all I would suggest using all of the extract in one brew and inputting your correct Boil Volume and Batch Size. It doesn't matter if you boil less apart from how much bitterness you get out of the hops - extract has a set amount of sugars unlike all grain brewing. By far the best way is to brew it to the best abilities of your equipment and then top up with cold water afterwards.

Using two tins of LME, a 14L boil and some amarillo, you can use this as a guide;

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 23.00 L      
Boil Size: 14.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 7.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 31.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount       Item                                       Type        % or IBU     
3.40 kg      Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)              Extract     100.0 %      
35.00 gm     Amarillo Gold [10.90%]  (60 min)           Hops        31.1 IBU

That's a 4.3%, 30 IBU pale ale. Bitter it with 35g, then cram the amarillo in between 10 and 0 minutes, and dry hop some. after that, pour it all through something to get the hops out - a sieve, grain bag, muslin bag etc - into the FV, and then top up the remaining volume in the FV with cool water. you can rest assured that it'll come up reasonably accurately.

Alternatively you need about 2.75kg Light DME.

this is a really easy way to work, I used to turn over a brewday in 1.5 hours and have a great beer at the end of it. Just be as accurate as possible with your volumes and you'll be fine!

Cheers Rob,

I wasn't planning to make such big batches, hence the small boil pot. I thought that as long as the ratios of extract/water and hops etc were ok, you could make as much or little as you wanted?
I was only goin to use the 3L of warm water to make the extract more easy to use. I was still going to add more water to the mix.

M

ah. in that case, just put your recipe into beersmith etc with the right boil volume. you'll be able to equate for the lack of hop bitterness then, it doesnt get very efficient until about 3 gallons. your only real restriction is that you can't use a tonne of hops in 1-2 gallon beers, so pick recipes with high AA% bittering hops, and try to go easy on the aroma hops - brewing standard bitters is fine, for example, and if you want lots of aroma, try dry hopping...

Back