Anybody use 3/4" tap fittings? Please Help me!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r-evans

Reaction score
I have numerous Stainless Steel 3/4" fittings to build two ball valve taps, but I am struggling to find Rubber/PVC washers.

First off, if I could find a 3/4" nipple which is full thread, that would help but for some stupid reason they seem to only make (or I can only find for sale) ones with gaps in, as below;

51SRwL8AiXL.jpg

F2577912-01.jpg

I have two of each of these, but they are a pain as they leave quite a bit of dead space either side of the wall as you can't screw a nut all the way up.

Then to make it worse, I just can't find any washers to fit them. Loads of other sizes but just no 3/4" anywhere.

There are loads of photos on google of what I need, but none of them lead to a place I can purchase them. Checked with Screwfix, Wickes, B&Q, you name it but nobody has any 3/4" pieces :-x It's driving me crazy!

Anybody know where to find them?

hope I can help. firstly are you sure your fittings are 3/4 as pipe size is measured by the internal size and not over all a 3/4 thread is the same as a brass outside tap thread. the fitting you at looking for is either a running nipple or a close tapper nipple. lastly if your fittings are 3/4 the washer for a barrel tap should fit.

Top one is a hex nipple the bottom one is a barrel nipple, stainless steel pipe/fittings are very expensive and not that common except in industrial installations which means a plumbers suppliers that carry industrial stock (not that common) screwfix, B+Q etc are the last place to look for those kinds of fittings, black iron or galvanised steel are far more common and even then still only a handful of merchants carry it, if you are really stuck and it is an absolute must have 3/4" full thread nipple you need you could butcher the tail of a 3/4" brass ballcock, you could also butcher the end of an old bath tap. If it's something that needs a washer the old fashioned way still works, just cut it by hand from a suitable material. It would probably be easier overall either going down to 1/2" or using 3/4" brass plumbing fittings for the needed connections.

Hi!
If you don't find a source for your washers, try making your own out of silicone cake pans.

Cheers. I've thought about that but I'm worried it won't be completely snug and may leak. May be a last resort if I really can't find what I need.

hope I can help. firstly are you sure your fittings are 3/4 as pipe size is measured by the internal size and not over all a 3/4 thread is the same as a brass outside tap thread. the fitting you at looking for is either a running nipple or a close tapper nipple. lastly if your fittings are 3/4 the washer for a barrel tap should fit.

Thanks. I do have some of these but they are a bit bigger than 3/4" (perfect for a barrel tap but no good here) and very thin so don't hug the nipple and cover the hole as well as they should.

Thanks. I've seen these, problem is it is only 30mm long which doesn't give me enough room to screw 2 nuts, tap and connector even without any washers.

I managed to find fittings on Ebay ... but it was a long hunt.

This is what I am experiencing :) any links?

PS ... I managed to find mine from a seller called "satisfive" .... at the time they had lots of different brass fittings and the choice of dimensions too ... and the postage ended up costing me about three times the value of the fitting.
... nero co uk looks pretty similar.

bes.co.uk for all your ss pipe fitting needs, the catalouge style website needs a little getting used to but once sussed is a dodle to navigate, PnP isnt cheap so make sure you order everything in one hit ;)

as for SS thrust washers check out ebay sellers some offer custom made jobs, you can diy copper from split tube flattened in a vice ;)

a roll of ptfe should be all you need beyond suitably sized thrust washer/s, a hex nipple, and a female threaded valve.
loop ptfe thru the eye of your sealing thrust washer and wrap round 4-5x then ram that up against the hex of the Hex nipple, wrap the thread behind the washer well, pop it thru the hole from the inside and connect your valve to the wrapped hex nipple, if its not tight enough to seal add a washer or 2 on the outside add more ptfe tape and re-fit.

Back