Anyone built their own foeder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been watching David Heaths series of videos on youtube about fermenting in a foeder and fancied getting one and trying the solera sour method he describes in his videos. Only issue is Foeder Smith who made the foeder in his videos have gone bust and I cannot find anywhere to buy a foeder suitable for homebrew scale, so thought about trying to make one. Anyone else made one?

I was thinking of buying a new 50 or 100L oak barrel like this and basically copying the Foeder Smith attachments - dump valve on the bottom, transfer port near bottom, sample valve half way (maybe use this where the bung hole is) and a filling cap on the top.

Only issue is finding a UK supplier of stainless cask fitting adapters (similar to this or this). Ideally it would need to be to tri-clamp so I can then attach whatever is needed to each.

I would be interested if anyone has tried this or has any advice.

A stainless steel vessel with all the attachments, and chunks of barrel staves inside will do pretty much the same job. It also adds the benefit of versatility, giving the option of changing wood or having separate sets for clean beers and bretted beers. Easier to find a vessel in a size that suits.

Check out Shop — Badmotivator Barrels

He is out of stock atm, and I don't know when he will have them back in, but these are lovely products amd reasonably priced. Only thing is, they are only 5L. But he is also a good guy and you can find plenty instructional content from him on how to make you own if that floats your boat

Edit... I see you are looming for 50 to 100l which I hadnt noticed. Maybe not for you these

A stainless steel vessel with all the attachments, and chunks of barrel staves inside will do pretty much the same job. It also adds the benefit of versatility, giving the option of changing wood or having separate sets for clean beers and bretted beers.
I just fancied something different. Also I had planned to not have temp control and wood would have much better insulation so smaller temp fluctuations

I just fancied something different. Also I had planned to not have temp control and wood would have much better insulation so smaller temp fluctuations
Just offering an alternative. Those foeders do look nice.

If your doing the Solera sour, I wouldn't worry about fermentation temperature changes at the speed it ferments.

It's a fun and interesting project to do, the hardest part is having the patience to leave it be. Good luck.

First Foeder almost complete, just waiting the triclamp fitting for the top flange. I used a 50L barrel (couldnt find 100L) so decided Id make the first one then once its up and running Ill make a second one. I already know a few modifications Ill do for the second one. I put the transfer port where the bung hole was (I plan to use it for Solera sour so will remove only 20L each time) but think I would be better putting the tasting port there and put the transfer port close to the bottom, or might even not bother with it as I can dump any trub before transferring. I wanted the bottom sight glass to be vertical but couldnt find a short one, have since found one on Ali Express so will use this for V2.

I used some food grade sealant on the fittings into the barrel. I filled with hot water for 48 hours and no leaks, it is now filled with 1g/L citric acid to prevent it drying out until I get the first sour in after about 10 days still holding strong.

Total cost probably about £300 - £350, Ill add it up at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_20221220_193838.jpg
    IMG_20221220_193838.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221220_193844.jpg
    IMG_20221220_193844.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221220_193849.jpg
    IMG_20221220_193849.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221220_193854.jpg
    IMG_20221220_193854.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221221_071433.jpg
    IMG_20221221_071433.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221221_071437.jpg
    IMG_20221221_071437.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
Intersting was just talking about something similar over the Christmas period. Love the triclamp organisation system too...my brewery is a right old mess, I need to tidy it up!

First Foeder almost complete, just waiting the triclamp fitting for the top flange. I used a 50L barrel (couldnt find 100L) so decided Id make the first one then once its up and running Ill make a second one. I already know a few modifications Ill do for the second one. I put the transfer port where the bung hole was (I plan to use it for Solera sour so will remove only 20L each time) but think I would be better putting the tasting port there and put the transfer port close to the bottom, or might even not bother with it as I can dump any trub before transferring. I wanted the bottom sight glass to be vertical but couldnt find a short one, have since found one on Ali Express so will use this for V2.

I used some food grade sealant on the fittings into the barrel. I filled with hot water for 48 hours and no leaks, it is now filled with 1g/L citric acid to prevent it drying out until I get the first sour in after about 10 days still holding strong.

Total cost probably about £300 - £350, Ill add it up at some point.
Most impressive, both in building this barrel set up and for the professional finish to the build. You appear to have experience of working with triclamps considerably above that of most homebrewers will have. I'd be really interested to hear your perspective on using tri clamps in your home brew set up, and if able to describe their benefits and limitations at this scale. There is much here to be admired at the organisational skills being shown in your pictures too 😍 .

You appear to have experience of working with triclamps considerably above that of most homebrewers will have. I'd be really interested to hear your perspective on using tri clamps in your home brew set up
Thanks for the comments. I only started using triclamps when I bought the Brewtools B80, all the external valves, pipework, chiller, etc are connected with 34mm tri-clamps. Due to space I need to disassemble everything after each brew to store it then re-assemble each brewday. Ive found the triclamps work great, never had a leak and they are fairly easy to connect and disconnect, I realised quickly that there is no need to overtighten the clamps as they are really just holding the 2 connected pieces together and the gasket is forming the seal.

For the Foeder I went with 1.5" triclamps on everything except the top flange which is 4". They are very easy to use and with reducers / adapters you can fit any other triclamp component... Im a big fan but hadnt really thought about it until now

Thanks for the comments. I only started using triclamps when I bought the Brewtools B80, all the external valves, pipework, chiller, etc are connected with 34mm tri-clamps. Due to space I need to disassemble everything after each brew to store it then re-assemble each brewday. Ive found the triclamps work great, never had a leak and they are fairly easy to connect and disconnect, I realised quickly that there is no need to overtighten the clamps as they are really just holding the 2 connected pieces together and the gasket is forming the seal.

For the Foeder I went with 1.5" triclamps on everything except the top flange which is 4". They are very easy to use and with reducers / adapters you can fit any other triclamp component... Im a big fan but hadnt really thought about it until now
Off topic: How long it takes to put the b80 together and take it apart on each brewday?

How are you getting on with your foeder out of interest?
So far going good. I made a golden ale and added a bootleg biology solera sour blend end of Jan. Fermentation kicked off quickly with some krausen coming out my blow off. I have cleaned the blowoff and will leave it for another 7-8 months.
So far no leaks and Ive taken a few samples and it tastes great already.

I was worried about getting too much oak flavour into the beer so I soaked in various solutions many times (citric acid, PBW and starsan) until it started coming out clear. Next one I will make a stout first to use the oak properly then clean for the sour.

I think the bolts I used for the flange on top were not good stainless ones as can see some rust forming on them, Ill swap them out when I take my first keg from it and top up with more wort.

Ive been meaning to dump the trub, will probably do that tonight.

Off topic: How long it takes to put the b80 together and take it apart on each brewday?
Got a B150 and a B40. Neither of which I take apart and put back together more than maybe once every 10 brew days. Everything gets CIP cleaned. All the triclamps and valves etc. stay where they are until the next brew day.

Latest posts

Back