Anyone built their own foeder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First Foeder almost complete, just waiting the triclamp fitting for the top flange. I used a 50L barrel (couldnt find 100L) so decided Id make the first one then once its up and running Ill make a second one. I already know a few modifications Ill do for the second one. I put the transfer port where the bung hole was (I plan to use it for Solera sour so will remove only 20L each time) but think I would be better putting the tasting port there and put the transfer port close to the bottom, or might even not bother with it as I can dump any trub before transferring. I wanted the bottom sight glass to be vertical but couldnt find a short one, have since found one on Ali Express so will use this for V2.

I used some food grade sealant on the fittings into the barrel. I filled with hot water for 48 hours and no leaks, it is now filled with 1g/L citric acid to prevent it drying out until I get the first sour in after about 10 days still holding strong.

Total cost probably about £300 - £350, Ill add it up at some point.
I love this 👏 toying with doing something similar for my small commercial brewery… it’s on my list!

I am still using it, first beer came out well, if a little sour and topped it up again with another wort. Probably keg this one soon so it doesnt end up quite as sour as the last one.

V2 is on hold due to lack of space, hoping to move house soon and one of the requirements is a dedicated brew room/shed :cool: instead of the utility room

Lovely bit of kit. I’ve been toying with the idea of doing the same and sounds like I’ve gone down a similar path to you. Do you have a list of the fittings that you used / approximate costs?

I am still using it, first beer came out well, if a little sour and topped it up again with another wort. Probably keg this one soon so it doesnt end up quite as sour as the last one.

V2 is on hold due to lack of space, hoping to move house soon and one of the requirements is a dedicated brew room/shed :cool: instead of the utility room
brew room/shed :cool: instead of the utility room
I'm more and more inclined on making a Foeder myself. Can you publish the parts list you used and any recommendations?

Back