Anyone else had AG results between 'meh' and 'bleurgh'?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nial

Reaction score
I did a mini SMASH AG batch a couple of months ago with Golden Promise malt and Galaxy hop pellets.

It all looked successful and it's been conditioning for ages but the results are at best 'meh'.

I don't really want to drink it.

Any thoughts? Did I not boil the wort hard and long enough, there was quite a
bit of 'stuff' in the fermentation bucket and the bottles still haven't cleared.

Any thoughts greatfully received.

Nial.

How hoppy was it and what was the OG/ ABV%?

Hop flavour/aroma tends to fade over time. Pale ales (SMaSh's) are hop driven and are best drunk young. The lower the hopppyness the faster the fading so need to be drunk sooner.

I reguarly make Ordinary Bitters. They're low in OG and the style calls for low to moderate bittering. After 6 weeks conditioning they virtually have no flavour apart from bittering so need to be drunk quick. An Ordinary Bitter that I made can go from fantastic after 1 week conditioning (I tend to start drinking these low OG beers after about 3 days condtioning) to 'meh! I'll just drink the rest of the batch to finish it off' after 6 weeks conditoning

The Belgian style one that I did isn't to my taste. The results are pretty good, but I'm just not keen on it. Others have tried it and liked it, but the funky yeast ain't for me.

The Belgian style one that I did isn't to my taste. The results are pretty good, but I'm just not keen on it. Others have tried it and liked it, but the funky yeast ain't for me.

Understandable its those phenols, you either embrace that style or just do not go for it at all.

OP what was your recipe??

OP what was your recipe??

I can't remember off the top of my head it was so long ago, but
1.5 Kg Golden Promise and 30g (?) of Galaxy hop pellets split during the
boil for ~ 5L wort.

?

I just dumped everything from the boil into the FV, there looked like
there was a lot of 'stuff' in suspension.

Nial

I can't remember off the top of my head it was so long ago, but
1.5 Kg Golden Promise and 30g (?) of Galaxy hop pellets split during the
boil for ~ 5L wort.

?

I just dumped everything from the boil into the FV, there looked like
there was a lot of 'stuff' in suspension.

Nial

I know it is too late now but it is a good idea to make a note of all your recipes you make , because if you like something you know what you did right and if you're repeating something wrong then it will be easier to pin point.

My one and only 'meh' AG attempt, so far (fingers crossed it's not a regular occurrence), is a Yorkshire Bitter. Utterly tasteless, like brown water with no mouth feel. I'm certain I must have royally screwed something up, it's so bland. I'm keeping hold of the remaining bottles just in case a miracle happens, but I'll probably end up pouring them. Life's too short for 'meh' beer!

I know it is too late now but it is a good idea to make a note of all your recipes you make , because if you like something you know what you did right and if you're repeating something wrong then it will be easier to pin point.

Don't worry I did, it's in my log book at home.

I'm at work. :-(

Nial.

The stuff whatever it was (most probably break material) wont have an effect. I get LOADS of break in my FV's and it has no effect on the taste

Is this because you brew with concentrated worts?

Nial

Is this because you brew with concentrated worts?

Nial

No. It's because I do BIAB and because I no chill I just chuck everything in the no chill cube then chuck everything into the FV after it's cool.

Some people whirlpool their wort, leave it for 20 mins or so. This create a cone of trub in the centre of the brew kettle. They then syphon they're wort off leaving the cone of trub in the kettle. This is unavailable to me as I dont have a tap on my pot and don't fancy trying to syphon near boiling wort

It can be very subjective if you are doing a recipe without having tasted something similar before. I have a beer just coming into condition that I am finding quite bland. It's a Deuchars clone and the colour seems right but there doesn't seem to be as much flavour as I remember from the single pint I had 14 years ago!
I've tried a couple of bottles and was a bit dissapointed until I caught myself thinking 'This isn't up to much, it tastes like that pint of beer X I had at the pub the other week.' and then remember that that was a commercial beer.

Sometimes as homebrewers we set our standards quite high because we know how good it can be.

KG

Nope, touch wood, all my AGs have been very good so far, most of them fantastic.
The only slightly disappointing one was my Old Peculier clone which lacked a bit of body, more like a brown ale or a mild. Still perfectly drinkable though, just not to style.
Now kits - that's another matter! :-(

Ha i have 4 kegs tied up with beer im maturing to get some improvement from, the beers ok, but not lipsmackingly great
i dont fancy a pint of any of it so its sitting taking up kegspace..

Ha i have 4 kegs tied up with beer im maturing to get some improvement from, the beers ok, but not lipsmackingly great
i dont fancy a pint of any of it so its sitting taking up kegspace..

I know, mate, I know. Sometimes life is just so hard it is bloody unbelievable. :lol:

But, what with a nice weekend forecast, perhaps you could chill a bit and drink it out in the open somewhere :thumb:

Latest posts

Back