Anyone refilled SodaStream bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EskiBrew

Regular.
Reaction score
This question has been at the back of my mind for some considerable time.

Background:
I always used to keep my CO2 pub gas cylinder attached to my kegerator in the living room. When my first son was born I decided I needed to ensure it could not be pulled over however at about the same time someone pointed me to a report from the HSE into CO2 cylinder explosions in the beer dispensing industry. I'm not sure if it was a bad year or not but there were quite a few reported cases of CO2 bottle explosions, several of which resulted in partial demolition of the building they were in stored/used :shock:

The primary reason given for it in the report was the poor storage of the cylinders - e.g. left out in the rain with their taps open until collected and then bashed about on a lorry. Since I was not in control of how a bottle had been abused previously, I immediately revised my situation and the CO2 cylinder has lived in the shed ever since - the thought of it exploding in my living room while my kids are about chilled me to the bone. The cylinder now comes in for a few minutes when a top-up is required but never when the kids are around.

When I started brewing I had a boots aluminium pressure barrel and I used to use SodaStream cylinders to inject CO2. I have several empty cylinders which I could press back into use. My thoughts being that a small sodastream cylinder that has been well stored and well treated by me should be much less likely to explode in the first place and if it did should be less likely to cause significant damage - perhaps someone will tell me different :wha:

Anyway, searching on the internet today shows quite a few people do this already and there are videos showing how to fill to a certain weight. It seems that filling to a pressure is not adequate since the pressure is dependant on the temperature and is not an indicator of the amount in the bottle. Having said that, I would be quite happy filling to say a tenth of the original weight if that makes it safer?

Now I could potentially make an adaptor on the lathe to allow me to connect a sodastream bottle to my CO2 bottle but the number of people that already do this leads me to think someone knows where I can get a ready made one - saving me time on the lathe :cool:

Does anyone on the forum do this?
Does anyone have a link to where I can buy an adaptor?

http://www.co2refill.eu/

You can get everything you need there :)

I'd be happy with the original weight to be honest. The manufacturers need to make sure the bottles can hold at LEAST twice the pressure it says on the can. As you say, you'll be looking after them so the temps they will be exposed to will be well within tolerance.

ukeden said:
hi i was looking in to this as well i ran across this video

Thanks ukeden - when you say you have been looking into it, do you mean refilling sodastream bottles? - or just that you spotted something interesting while looking.

That device is not of use to me because I don't bottle however I'm sure someone would find that useful - it is definitely a quick way to carbonate if using PET bottles :thumb: Probably worth you starting another thread because it may well get missed here :cheers:

Hmmm - nothing else coming up here so it looks like I may have to make an adaptor.

From reading the CO2 cylinder is 5.8" 14TPI BSPP
The Sodastream cylinder is CGA320 however it appears that a 1/2" BSPP female will screw on to that CGA320 male thread nicely.

Question is, can I be bothered to work out the gearing for my lathe to cut these or shall I have a word with my mate who has a CNC lathe :roll: ;)

Ok, I decided I had better get started on making one. A little progress tonight.

refil_adapter_parts.jpg

Stock cut to length then drilled and bored cap for sodastream cylinder then threaded M5 and 1/2"BSP before knurling. I'm thinking I will silver solder the pipe to each screw cap to give added strength :thumb:

Latest posts

Back