Are screw top wine bottle tops OK to re-use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozybeagle

Reaction score
Hi,

Most of the wine I buy from the supermarket comes with a screw top, as opposed to a cork (I buy the really expensive stuff :)).
If I'm re-using these bottles for my home brew (wine), can I just put the screw tops back on, or will I need to put corks in there?

Thanks

Hi.

I've not had any problems as long as the screw tops are clean and in good condition - but I have been told you can't age wine in them so 6 months storage max for screw tops. If you want to age wine then cork is the only way. Most wine kits are good for a few years but 'past it' after that even in corked glass bottles.

I use the 5ltr bags with a tap usually as it's not normally round long enough to age but I do leave it a month to clear and settle out.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Screw tops are fine to re-use. I've used them 4-5 times over with no problems.

I have read the threads in the tops eventually wear and you cannot tighten them enough to make the bottle airtight, as for ageing in them i don't see why you cannot, if they are air tight they are no different to other bottles.

I use 1.5 litre plastic (PET) spring water bottles, they are green so great for wine and if you drop them its no problem.

Thanks very much everyone.
That's brilliant news, as I have a green recycle box full of them!
I wasn't intending to age my wine in them, so that won't be a problem.
And I'll bear in mind that it's probably best not to use them too many times.
Thanks again.

One thing I forgot to add., I have read the bottle necks are a lot thinner than on a normal wine bottle so they are not suitable for corking.

I've used screwtop bottles in the past with corks. The necks are thinner so take care. I always used a twin lever corker, rather than the type you thump, and got away with it. (I also used it to put corks in beer bottles for when you don't want to open a full bottle of wine......)

+1 for using corks in screwtop wine bottles, which is approximately 40% of my HB wines. I haven't found any problems so far using a hand push corker with waxed corks. TBH I haven't noticed these bottles having thinner necks because both need almost the same amount of push effort to cork.

I've re-used screw tops a few times on wine bottles, but I prefer the nova twist ones you can get online very cheaply, and I've reused some of them loads, they keep their thread very well.

+1 for using corks in screwtop wine bottles, which is approximately 40% of my HB wines. I haven't found any problems so far using a hand push corker with waxed corks. TBH I haven't noticed these bottles having thinner necks because both need almost the same amount of push effort to cork.

I have no doubt many members have used corks in these bottles, my earlier post was a warning to those that may not know the screw top bottles have thinner walls at the neck (this has been discussed several times in the forum), i would not be happy if a new member read "go ahead and use corks in screw top bottles" here in the forum then injured themselves, that is why i posted the warning.

As Harrow said earlier Novatwist tops are one solution - http://www.novatwist.com/uk/product-benefits.html

Latest posts

Back