B&M kits

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This

Interesting to know B&M have started stocking homebrew stuff. I don’t do kits but if they sell FVs etc it might be worth a look.
The FVs were 12litre which I thought was a nice touch considering the 10 litre kits which gives you a bit more leeway if tweaking

With this smaller kit do they make around 11 750ml PET bottles? If they do, this would be ideal for my Mr Beer Craft kit FV and a whole lot cheaper lol.

With this smaller kit do they make around 11 750ml PET bottles? If they do, this would be ideal for my Mr Beer Craft kit FV and a whole lot cheaper lol.
I'm afraid I only noticed the swing top (assuming glass) bottles 500ml
Still great price though

Been to a second B&M store and they don’t have anything either.

I did pick up a rather cool pair of Woody The Cowboy PJs for my Toy Story obsessed 2 year old though so all is good!

Last edited:
Do these come with the bottles?. Seen these in both locals to me but never gave much attention for no particular reason than the small 10 litre bucket and looking at 40 pint brews. But seeing as I'm looking for a 10 litre bucket for testing\sampleing with all grain brewing, this as a kit wouldn't be much different than a 10 litre brewing bucket!.

Popped into the local b&m today to see if they had any in stock, asked the assistant if they had any to be told they dont sell them as they dont have a drink licence, never heard this before am I right in thinking you dont need a licence to sell kits?.

Plenty of stock in my local B&M today (Ashford), at least there was before I arrived. Grabbed a couple of boxes of swing top bottles and one each of the IPA and Real Ale kits. Looking forward to putting one of these in the FV.

Have looked in two local B&M's, one only had the tequila and lime lager, (no thanks) the other had no sign of any home brew gear. One thought, is this a seasonal promotional for Father's Day?

One thought, is this a seasonal promotional for Father's Day?
I’d had that thought too when I looked at the website. Dragging my 2 year old around the cheap shops tomorrow afternoon so I’ll give the big Dundee one another try.

Those of you who have been successful, where in the store was it? Kitchenware?

Mine were end of the isle where the beers are stacked. Didn't investigate further so they may have been with the beers too.
Wallasey store by the way

Cheers . Tom

In Ashford they were on the floor at the end of the beer aisle. The photo may help.

Attachments

• IMG_1935.JPG
    IMG_1935.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 357
Loads in Jarrow , Got a real ale and a IPA coming my way next week for fathers day.
Will these be ok in a standard 40pt fv.

I have a sneaking suspicion that they are only stocking the homebrew stuff in the stores they stock beer, which neither of the Dundee ones do.

I hope not.
First time I've done a small brew, just testing out a recipe for some Citra and cascade hops so I've got an 11 litre brew in a 33 litre bucket right now :cheers3:
Will be a couple of brews before I get one of these kits on

Cheers. Tom

Got the brew on IPA on this morning

I used half bottled and half treated tap water
Extract was added to 3 litres of 65c water although I did take it up gradually to around 80c to add 9 grams of citra that I felt would help freshen it up

Added the rehydrated yeast and put fv into the water bath which stood at 21c
I will admit to swapping the dextrose over to a new can of holland barret malt extract.
this was only because I feel kits add this to save cash and as this was in the bogohp sale I thought whats the harm

I'm hoping when I added the hot (but not boiled) wort into the fv onto the holland barret extract I didn't create the twang
I'm pretty sure now the hot side aeration thing is a myth as everyone who makes kits would have noticed off flavours every time they made one

The hydro sample tasted promising with a lovely hop aroma and this was noticed before I added my addition

Not noticing a great'deal of airlock activity 6 hours later but I have noticed a couple of cm of krausen which is reassuring

I was going to buy the 10 litre bucket today, but then I noticed it neither comes with a bung, airlock or even a hole in the lid!. Odd that I thought when it seems to have everything else needed.

I think that's why the instructions were saying leave the'lid loose and not all way clipped in but even so, why' you wouldn't want it sealed during fermentation is beyond me

Back