Barrel Aged Imperial Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I’m starting to record my first attempt at a barrel-aged stout. I’m starting a new thread so all the posts are together and all are related to this particular brew. If everything goes well people will then get an idea on how to do the same. If things go wrong…we’ll, you’ll learn what you shouldn’t do!

Did you find the bung for the barrel was too big by a few MM or so as mine is not wanting to go into the hole - will probably go in if i smacked it with a hammer but thought I would ask what yours was like first

Debating shaving a bit off it rather than trying to force it in

Did you find the bung for the barrel was too big by a few MM or so as mine is not wanting to go into the hole - will probably go in if i smacked it with a hammer but thought I would ask what yours was like first

Debating shaving a bit off it rather than trying to force it in
Mine is very nearly the same size as the hole. It does go in about 5mm with a fairly hard press. For what I want I think that’s enough.

The beer has been in the barrel for 16 days now and it definitely needs a taste 😉

This is me pulling a sample with a pipette, I needed three draws to get enough in my glass for a decent taste.

663CC644-7995-41EB-A101-FEB1E744F43B.jpeg

The beer is obviously nice and clear already and is a lovely colour. It looks a deep brown in this tiny glass but it was definitely black when it went in the barrel!

90A9BD06-A08B-477C-9DA3-560926E20376.jpeg

The aroma is gorgeous, you get the bourbon, the oak, and the imperial stout but they combine into a beautiful smooth, slightly sweet, mouth-watering aroma.

The taste is more than I had hoped, certainly at this point. The beer has already picked up some oak and is already smooth. There’s almost a hint of warm creamy vanilla though I certainly never put vanilla in there. The balance of bourbon is perfect and there’s no hint of harsh alcohol from the bourbon or from the imperial stout. I’m going to give it another couple of weeks and give it another try but I am seriously excited right now. 😍

Are you planning to bottle condition the beer? Do you think you will need to re-seed the yeast for carbonation? Are you tempted to put 5L or so in a glass demijohn and seed it with Bret? Can you tell I'm excited for you? ;)

Are you planning to bottle condition the beer? Do you think you will need to re-seed the yeast for carbonation? Are you tempted to put 5L or so in a glass demijohn and seed it with Bret? Can you tell I'm excited for you? ;)
😂😂😂. I kind of feel the same, that I want to try stuff. Some will be bottled and I might try some with new yeast (maybe more than one type) and some without. Some will be kegged and served on nitro. I’d quite like to bottle some on nitro too but I’m not entirely sure how practical that will be…I need to run a few tests.

I hadn’t planned on bret with this brew but I have also been thinking about a lambic and some wild fermentation experiments.

It’s two weeks on so time for another taste. Same approach as before using a pipette to collect a sample. There is not a big difference from the last time I tasted this beer, maybe a little more oak but certainly not strong so I think I will push it a little further and see what happens.

595F4F88-C8AF-4B70-8967-21191F7BF65A.jpeg

It’s two weeks on so time for another taste. Same approach as before using a pipette to collect a sample. There is not a big difference from the last time I tasted this beer, maybe a little more oak but certainly not strong so I think I will push it a little further and see what happens.

View attachment 74471
Are you getting any hints of oxidation?

View attachment 74471

I put mine in the barrel 2 days ago :)

Manged to get the bung to fit in the end as well after a bit of sanding

Interesting that you think the flavour has not moved too much - Im thinking what I can put in mine next now lol although ill leave four weeks until i test it i reckon

I put mine in the barrel 2 days ago :)

Manged to get the bung to fit in the end as well after a bit of sanding

Interesting that you think the flavour has not moved too much - Im thinking what I can put in mine next now lol although ill leave four weeks until i test it i reckon
The flavour of the oak is stronger than it was 2 weeks ago. I’m not sure when it becomes too much but at the moment I’d quite like a little more. Keep an eye on this thread and me saying it’s gotten better or it’s ruined!

The imperial stout has now been in the barrel for two months and I think it’s ready to be kegged. All my kegs are in use at the moment but several are getting low so it won’t be long before one becomes available. Still no oxidation - that I can detect anyway.

View attachment 75903

Gave mine its 4 weeks since going into the barrel taste test on Sunday and it was tasting great - Am leaving for at least another month though

Gave mine its 4 weeks since going into the barrel taste test on Sunday and it was tasting great - Am leaving for at least another month though
Mine needed two months. I’m sure it would be fine for a bit longer but I’m not looking for a big hit of oak, just a mild oak and soft vanilla flavour.

With my barrel and for what I want 10 weeks is probably about right.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back