Barrel issues help please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott33b

Reaction score
Hi folks. I've just checked my all grain brew thinking it would be ready for conditioning. To my horror after 2 weeks with sugar in it, it's flat as a pancake. I've found that the seal on the barrel has distorted! Would I need to add more sugar or just keep it another couple of weeks in the warm? Thanks in advance. Scott

Hi Scott, I'm not sure what your logic is here i.e. same seal, same result. Have you replaced the seal or lubed it up etc.??

Personally, I'd be decanting the brew off to some primed Asda Smartprice 2L water bottles to save the brew and work on the barrel sealing issues separately.

Test your barrel on the next brew (sod the barrel, the beer comes first!)

Cheers mate :thumb:

Hi. I've replaced the seal on the top cap. So all should be fine with the barrel. Just looking to see if I should re-prime with more sugar. Cheers

If the barrel has been at room (fermenting) temp for the 2 weeks since you originally primed then you will need to re-prime now as the last lot of priming sugar will have been used up by the yeast - and converted to alcohol so not wasted !

The problem with cap seals on PBs as far as I can see are down to 1) the seal being made of thick very squishy rubber of some sort 2) the edge of the top of the barrel opening presses against the cap seal very close to the outer edge of the seal so that even slight overtightening twists the squidgy cap seal out of it's seat in the cap 3) this top opening of the barrel should be a perfect round shape but if you check it you'll probably find that it's anything other than round which puts the contact spot with the cap seal right on it's very edge.
I've just filled a PB with an AG brew but before I put it in there, I up-ended the barrel onto a pan of boiling water to soften the plastic then inserted a round wooden plug in the hole and clamped it tight with a jubilee clip. All intended to force the top opening to actually be round. The brew's been in for a week now and so far it's holding pressure. Hope it keeps that way...

Latest posts

Back