Batch sparge temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean_Mc

Regular.
Reaction score
Been getting **** efficiency on the last couple of brews and think the grain bed whilst fly sparging is developing channels/runs (the right terminology escapes me)

So thought I'd give batch sparging a whirl. Thought I'd check first about the temps.
Would I still heat the HLT to 80c-85c and aim for a grain bed of 70-75c or do I aim to maintain 66c?
Also how long should I leave the batches to settle before draining?

Sorry probably basic stuff for some, just never done it myself.

Sean :cheers:

I tend to batch sparge for around 10 minutes using water with a strike temperature of 82-85°C. Strain off at around 1 litre per minute to get the most of the sugars out of the grain.

I also batch sparge once the HLT hits 82C +, and leave for about 10 mins both times :thumb:

I run off a lot quicker than that though :hmm:

mark1964 said:
Do you return a few litres first before draining into boiler we bought a solar pump to do that and it does help the wort to clear pre boil

Yeah I have a two litre jug that I fill three or four times, until I get a clear wort.

WelshPaul said:
I tend to batch sparge for around 10 minutes using water with a strike temperature of 82-85°C. Strain off at around 1 litre per minute to get the most of the sugars out of the grain.

Hawks said:
I also batch sparge once the HLT hits 82C +, and leave for about 10 mins both times :thumb:

I run off a lot quicker than that though :hmm:

Cheers guys will try it on this weekends brew :thumb:

mark1964 said:
Do you return a few litres first before draining into boiler we bought a solar pump to do that and it does help the wort to clear pre boil
There's a specific German word for this process but I can't remember it for the life of me. Can anyone help as it's been driving me nuts?

I think the term you are looking for is vorlauf :thumb:

The important temperature is that of the grain bed - I try not to let that rise above 70 degrees.

Latest posts

Back