Batch splitting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearwoodbrewer

Reaction score
Having been a keen reader of this forum since Christmas, I have been busy brewing some kits and my third (Coopers Australian Pale Ale) is now bubbling away :thumb:

My question though is related to batch splitting. Basically I want to experiment with fermentation time, temp, cold crashing etc but for a comparison I wonder if it would be a good idea to split my 5 gallons once made, into two separate FV's. Then I could follow a slightly different routine for each. My first thoughts were to split the batch before adding yeast?

If anybody has had any experience of this I would be grateful for any advice do's, don'ts etc.. Thanks.

I split most of my brews. Often into 2, sometimes 3.

Usually hop them differently, sometimes yeasts, and sometimes add steeping grains to make different styles. Steeped roasted grains will convert one into porter or stout, so you can get very different beers from the same batch. I never really want 40 bottles all the same.

Thanks! As I'm using kits should I split the yeast packet into two? And basically guess what 50% is. Or would this be easier and more accurate with a starter.

I just guess what 50% is. Coopers only give you 6 or 7 grams, I would put all of that in half a batch. In fact I put it all in 7 litres, and split a US05 between the other two 7 litre batches.

I always do this as I have two 10lt bins, I just make the kit up in one then tip half into the other before topping up with cold and adding half the yeast to each, never had a problem although I have only done three brews, but a great way to experiment, I have been adding different hops to each bin to see how they effect the taste of the brew .

Latest posts

Back