BBC and Swearing.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm continually confused by people who lose their heads about swear words. They are a bunch arbitrarily chosen words which you have been taught are offensive, and that is literally the only reason you find them offensive. There is no logical reason behind it whatsoever.

Besides, there are so many more important things to be offended by. Swear words aren't negatively affecting anyone's quality of life. Who has the energy?

The distinction should be made between using swear words as part of normal conversation and those directed towards others as a form of abuse.

Funny how we were brought up to think swearing was such a bad thing and shouldn't be used at work etc. When I interviewed for the job I'm in now - professional thing in the city, like - I swore in every one of my interviews!

Edit: This is making me want to go an listen to Hot Dog by Limp Bizkit.

Thinking back, I'm sure the Mark Webber one was a live broadcast but just after 9pm and the presenter went overboard with the apologies. So what is the point of the watershed? :?:

Obviously someone at the BBC still thinks all kids who should be protected from hearing such words go to bed before 21:00 so its OK to have swearing after that time, they probably hear far worse during a normal day.

Most basic swear words are well known in the school playground by the time you're about 7.

Censoring of swear words in newpapers is stupid - printing "F*** Off" is hardly leaving much to the imagination is it! I can't imagine any man, woman or child struggling to understand what that's getting at.

I also think the BBC news website plays up a little to the censors. I remember a few years ago there was an article on there with the headline "Giant gash in hull seen from space".

Hi!
It's a shame that most people don't seem to understand that language used that is appropriate when talking to your mates might not be appropriate in another social context. I believe that the concept is called "register".
I am constantly upset by young people who swear incessantly in public places.

Most basic swear words are well known in the school playground by the time you're about 7.

Censoring of swear words in newpapers is stupid - printing "F*** Off" is hardly leaving much to the imagination is it! I can't imagine any man, woman or child struggling to understand what that's getting at.

I also think the BBC news website plays up a little to the censors. I remember a few years ago there was an article on there with the headline "Giant gash in hull seen from space".

As a kid I swore to friends more so as a teen, then stopped, now with kids they have taught, encouraged and positively forced me to adopt a position of exculsive verbal abuse of which is positively encouraged by said teens. In the past on tv Mary ******* Whitehouse was the force they used sucumb to on consership once she died it slackened and these days most adult programs have swear words. In truth no one really cares if a slip of the tongue occurs on tv daytime, they apologise and that's the end of it. Very rarelly does anyone get sacked as in the past for it.

It's especially ridiculous when something is picked up on the ref's or pitchside mics at the rugby and there's an immediate apology. You're watching people smash the ***** out of each other, of course there's going to be some coarse language!
Yup , especially at the rucks & mauls against each other , but when the ref catches someone doing something 'naughty' it's " Sorry sir " , happy days !!

AIn truth no one really cares if a slip of the tongue occurs on tv daytime, they apologise and that's the end of it. Very rarelly does anyone get sacked as in the past for it.

I dunno. There seemed to be quite a lot of noise when a few presenters didn't say "Jeremy Hunt the Culture Secretary" but used his real name instead.

Latest posts

Back