Beer before xmas?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt Frank Drebin

Reaction score
I set a irish stout going last monday, the OG was 1.050 and its at about 1.015 now. Couple more days to finish then a couple more to let the yeast clear up then rack it to my bottles along with 4 level teaspoons of sugar in each. Will this be carbed up enough and matured for xmas, i already have 40 pints that will be ready but theres 13 adults to go around so i could do with that stout. Opinions please?

I think you want to calm down on the sugar unless you want explosives :p most people use 0.5tsp per pint bottle.

You can bottle now but there will be a little more trub. It's closer to real bottle conditioning too. The rule is 1 week for 10 points of gravity, so 5 weeks in the bottle - but you might get away with less. Keep them warm and they'll be moderately carbed in a week...

Kegging in a plastic barrel would have it ready in a week.

I hope at your suggested priming level you're using 2 litre plastic bottles, but even so, 2 tsps should be quite sufficient for a stout, perhaps 3-4 tsps for a lager.

Latest posts

Back