Beer kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is tricky to remove the spear if the safety device is in place unless you have the proper tool. Rather than buy the tool most users remove the safety device

I assume the spear is like the dip tube in a cornie? This is how the beer comes out, etc?

I also assume that this needs to be removed in order to clean/fill? Lastly, is this the bit the safety device keeps connected unless you have a fancy tool?

K

Yes, the dip tube is like in a corny so the beer is drawn out from the bottom. You just unscrew the whole thing and remove for cleaning and filling.

Fancy tool?

This fancy tool costs exactly 5p and is available in every shop or bank in the UK, you probably already have one.

I removed the safety from mine anyway as I'm happy I can remember to de pressurise them before taking the spear out.

Runwell-Steve said:
I replaced my cornies with slimline crusader kegs with Sankey S Type couplings. I can't see a downside with them. You don't have to remove the safety but it's a very easy job if you want to remove it, takes about a minute with a pair of wire cutters.
I can't work out what the flaw is with these crusader kegs.

Postage cost is high so buy a lot in one go.

How much does delivery work out?

It think all the plastic type kegs that are sold in the UK will have to meet EU regs just as stainless ones will, so I can't really see them being easily damaged or degraded somehow and they all use the same Sankey connectors and spears don't they!?!

Tim they do meet the EUROPEAN regs . . . For one way single use . . They can be reused but are not designed for it

Aleman said:
Tim they do meet the EUROPEAN regs . . . For one way single use . . They can be reused but are not designed for it

Then re-using them could put you outside the EU! This could get polotical :rofl:

The best chouce seems to be he crusader keg. Already contacted them and for the price you cant go wrong. The mrs has agreed to buy me a pair (wouldnt want them lonely) however theve asked how I want them configured..... does not make much sense to me. I know I want a sankey fitting but is here anything else I should be asking for?

krazypara3165 said:
The best chouce seems to be he crusader keg. Already contacted them and for the price you cant go wrong. The mrs has agreed to buy me a pair (wouldnt want them lonely) however theve asked how I want them configured..... does not make much sense to me. I know I want a sankey fitting but is here anything else I should be asking for?
Ask for them to be shipped with the spears removed. Then you can remove the safety device should you desire

I understand there are three different types of safety devices. Mine came with one that can be got around by using a 5p in the sankey connector so I have not removed the safety device, yet

The spears are needed, that's how the beer is pumped from the keg.

The safety devices stop the spear shooting out if it is unscrewed when there is still pressure in the keg. Just thought, you will need some sort of tool to remove the spear.

In addition to co2, regulator, beer & gas line etc you will need a sankey connector. These can be had off ebay for about £15-20. Make sure it is complete with connectors, something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beer-Keg-...1?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item417ce6bfd3 Note the john guest connectors, so get on with them (but get a used one cheaper)

If it helps I can get some pics of mine for you?

Ok, so here is the spear inserted into the keg

A3A5CA03-0B91-4751-A373-B05E3D07FA4E_zpskgop3y4j.jpg

Spear complete with 5p

5362E744-6A22-4911-9C34-C74571B588B3_zpsrl6v2vw0.jpg

Spear partially removed, the safety device stops it going any further

73C4763B-8402-405A-9B1C-067F09B605D9_zpsxhcbr4ib.jpg

The spear & connector

868E0CF4-76B3-484F-8AAC-7FE798EA82ED_zpswiysbmfv.jpg

The safety device

E49CB37E-A478-43B9-9147-5FAD2287DC8C_zpsf6e6lksm.jpg

You can see here the safety device (prongs) stop the spear going through the keg neck

78A3564F-0EE4-4CAF-9A2B-3A00DB2B3B6F_zpsjroe5lvw.jpg

Safety prongs compressed using the 5p method

30D6B432-64DA-43E1-8675-708704DC89A6_zps9ykdcqp8.jpg

I think this is the best description & photos of the spear, safety and use of 5p I've seen so far. :thumb:

What tool do you use to unscrew the spear?

Also have you got a pick of the kegs in all their glory? Nothing like seeing some shiny :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back