Beer kit brewing and sugars.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrendanH

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a few questions about how to prepare sugars for addition to beer kits. So far I understand that dextrose does not add to the characteristics of beer (Mouth feel, flavour etc.) because it is 100% broken down by the yeast, Dry Malt Extract makes for a richer beer and cane sugar makes a dry beer.

I have a few more in depth questions :

1. Does making a syrup out of cane sugar for priming change the characteristics of the sugar? I was a bit worried because the syrup I used for priming was slightly caramelized because I boiled it for a few minutes.
2. I was told by our local craft shop that you have to boil table sugars or any sugars not bought through them because of the potential of wild yeast contamination. Is this correct? Doesn't sugar undergo molecular changes when it is boiled?
3. If I buy a Coopers Stout can and want to add 300grams or so of caramel cane sugar to add some flavour (It is described as : "Caramel Sugar is ideal for sprinkling over porridge and cereals and adds a delicious flavour to coffee. It can also replace white sugar in all microwave cooking to improve colour and is perfect for biscuits, cakes and loaves, as well as any recipe calling for fruit in the mixture. Caramel Sugar is a good substitute for Demerara Sugar. This medium brown sugar is raw sugar coated with caramel syrup.") will I have to make a syrup with it, boil it for a few minutes and add it at the same time as the DME? Would boiling the sugar break it down or make it more difficult to be processed by the yeast?

Also, are there any other questions I should be asking?
Thanks for the answers.

i'll answer q1 for you
when the sugar is caramelised too thick in consistency it's difficult to get even priming sugar through out your beer and can cause some bottles to be over primed and some not so
a good loose solution is good
130grams per 400 to 600 ml boiled for a few mins cooled to pitching temperature

1. It'll be fine
2. That's b****cks
3. No, you could just lash it in. Personally, I used to just get a big pot of water heated up, empty the malt into the bucket, rinse the tin into the pot then just dissolve my sugar/extra malt in there then tip it in - never boiled. It is sucrose though so you might get some winey flavours, but actually that might work nicely in a stout. :thumb:

I tend to use normal sugar bought in tesco and chuck it into the warmed wort from the can in the fv. Not had any problems yet that might be attributable to dodgy sugar.

Latest posts

Back