Beerwulf and "The Sub" Draught system.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie_asg1

Reaction score
Just had a flyer through the door promoting this and thought it would be a good topic of discussion.

First of all Beerwulf (never heard of them before) but are offering what I thought was the usual wine club style mix of unheard of names of unknown quality at slightly inflated prices, but from what I can see there are a good number of commercial brews in there too.

Next is "The Sub" draught system that seems to be made by Krups - the coffee maker people.
Beer is sold in special containers for this system only- in 2L sizes.:confused: - which seems a bit weird for a start, and secondly - each Torpedo..sorry TORP has it's own pipe and valve that you have to assemble prior to fitting into The Sub........Just seems like a bit of an extra faff to me.- and more plastic waste.

My thought about this are ;
- It's a coffee pod for beer people.
- It's only 2L worth of beer - equivalent to 4 large cans
- You need to buy another machine for the worktop before can get to your beer.
- You have to chill the Torp's in the fridge before loading......like beer in cans.
- It can take 10 hours to chill one using the machine.
- You have to leave it plugged in or it will ruin your beer.

- It's German, and You have to load a Torpedo into a Sub, lock the breech then pull the handle - just like a real German submarine. :laugh8:

Just wondered what other people's thoughts are.

My thoughts - Why would you want one?

The guy in the video says it sells for £160 full price and it takes 35 mins to cool the TORP even when its put in straight from the fridge.

OK if you like half a pint of head on your beer. (see end of second video)

The alternative -
Buy some beer, put it in the fridge, drink it immediately when you want.

Love the fact they say beer tastes better pored from it than a can then give you a can of Heineken to put in it for your first taste test. :laugh8:

Last edited:
Beerwulf and the sub are both owned by Heineken. Both are well know.

Beerwulf are excellent. 24 hour then around on orders and have a massive selection with a number of beer stout wouldn't get over here.

Never had a Sub and it's not for me. I am memb3r of a pub shed group on fb and they seem very popular. Most months they are on offer with the machine and a couple of torps selling for about £60

I've ranted about the Sub/Torp thing before. It's a disgrace. It gets me right lit, it does. It's like having a tea machine where you could get up to five types of tea - none of them the one you actually like - and look, it makes up to 3 cups of tea before you need to get a refill cartridge and then it's only 45 minutes before you could be drinking your own "Home made" tea, just like they serve in cafes up and down the country. You'll be the envy of your friends with the all-in-one Leäf system from Wankatek.

I've ranted about the Sub/Torp thing before. It's a disgrace. It gets me right lit, it does. It's like having a tea machine where you could get up to five types of tea - none of them the one you actually like - and look, it makes up to 3 cups of tea before you need to get a refill cartridge and then it's only 45 minutes before you could be drinking your own "Home made" tea, just like they serve in cafes up and down the country. You'll be the envy of your friends with the all-in-one Leäf system from Wankatek.

It's not home made. You buy the beer you want, just like buying cans etc. It's more for people who want to pour a pint to replicate being in a pub.

That's what I have tried to get my head around - who is this for?

I see it in the same style as the coffee pods and machines to dispense them. You can get a much wider variety of coffee beans and grind them yourself to use in espresso machines or other yet the coffee pods and machines have gained popularity?

Who is buying these things?

Who is buying these things?
**nts.

What is that pump noise?
Some say it's air pressurising behind the internal bag to push the pish inside out. But I've also heard it's a looping sample from the start of a recording of the makers going "WAHHHHHHHHHHH! Some right ffffkinnidiots are going actually buy this!!! And if they don't then wives or girlfriends will think it's actually a good present - WAHHAHHHAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Oh so its like a metal wine box with a bag inside? Not very ecowazzit if it is. Too much plastic compared to a standard tinny or bottle.

I thought it sounded like an air pump - but if it was introducing air directly to pressurise - then the beer would go off even faster?

Is this just a machine designed to waste beer?

I would have thought they would bring out a mini beer keg that is designed to be recycled and that has the same push fittings that are currently in use. Less waste, bigger containers, better experience.......more beer sales. :beer1:

Just found someone who took a TORP apart. You are right it is a bag in there, inside a PET plastic bottle, which despite it having a hose and an air valve is fully recyclable they say. Maybe not the hose part.

Also another barman having problems with head explains the difference between European pints with a larger head. - Which I didn't know about. But does it serve ALL beer with that much?

Latest posts

Back