Bench Capper

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

neilb

Reaction score
I mainly use plastic PET bottles but I've been saving up glass bottles and have asked friends and family to donate their unwanted 500ml glass bottles aswell. I've almost got enough now for a full batch and now is the time for me to look for a capper. I would ideally like a bench capper and wondered if these are any good, if anyone has experience with them..

neilb

Reaction score
Get one! They do awkward bottles like Wychwood no problems...
Thanks mate athumb..
Yes I've heard about the Hobgoblin bottles and hand cappers, I've got 4 or 5 of them I think.

DavieC

Regular.
Reaction score
Easy to use, I had to put a smear of vaseline on mine until it was broken in:oops:

Chris_S

Reaction score
Thanks mate, yes the hand cappers look like a lot of effort to me!
I’ve just ventured down the crown capping bottles. I also asked a friend to save his bottles, the 660ml Stella bottles. When the kit arrived with a couple hundred caps, I tried it out on an empty one first.

Could not get it to seal, tried all combination of supplied jaw bits, but no joy. Are these bottles non standard? Or am I being obtuse

Oneflewover

Landlord.
Reaction score
I mainly use plastic PET bottles but I've been saving up glass bottles and have asked friends and family to donate their unwanted 500ml glass bottles aswell. I've almost got enough now for a full batch and now is the time for me to look for a capper. I would ideally like a bench capper and wondered if these are any good, if anyone has experience with them..

Is it all metal? It looks like the assembly that is mounted on the riser / the handle is mounted on might be plastic? I'd want all metal.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Is it all metal? It looks like the assembly that is mounted on the riser / the handle is mounted on might be plastic? I'd want all metal.
Its certainly tough enough (and easy to use, my OH has capped a few bottles and found it pretty effortless) I've had mine a good few years now, hundreds of bottles been capped, would recommend it no problem!

Alastair70

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the one I have. It’s a bit clunky, and would work best if attached to a bench. I don’t have that option so use it on the floor so I can stabilise everything with with my body weight. I needed to line up too for the the first batch I capped.

London

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same one and find it easy to use, when it new it a bit tight and I found it best to pull the bottom of the bottle toward you and twist to get bottle off once capped.

neilb

Reaction score
Its certainly tough enough (and easy to use, my OH has capped a few bottles and found it pretty effortless) I've had mine a good few years now, hundreds of bottles been capped, would recommend it no problem!
Thanks mate athumb..

neilb

Reaction score
That’s the one I have. It’s a bit clunky, and would work best if attached to a bench. I don’t have that option so use it on the floor so I can stabilise everything with with my body weight. I needed to line up too for the the first batch I capped.
Thanks mate athumb..

neilb

Reaction score
I have the same one and find it easy to use, when it new it a bit tight and I found it best to pull the bottom of the bottle toward you and twist to get bottle off once capped.
Thanks mate athumb..

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Same as the one I've got though bought from The Homebrew Company but they seem to have put the price of theirs up so the one linked is a good price. Decent bit of kit, no problems so far and don't see why it wouldn't last me years.

neilb

Reaction score
Same as the one I've got though bought from The Homebrew Company but they seem to have put the price of theirs up so the one linked is a good price. Decent bit of kit, no problems so far and don't see why it wouldn't last me years.
Thanks mate athumb..

Gerryjo

I used to be a landlord
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve just ventured down the crown capping bottles. I also asked a friend to save his bottles, the 660ml Stella bottles. When the kit arrived with a couple hundred caps, I tried it out on an empty one first.

Could not get it to seal, tried all combination of supplied jaw bits, but no joy. Are these bottles non standard? Or am I being obtuse
The Stella caps may be 29mm as opposed to the 26mm for standard bottles.

Latest posts