best brew of 2008

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the third addition it tells you how to make it in the book but found this http://fexr.com/jyrc
I wanted to make the 68/- Ushers mild a while back but with my brew size i needed 14 KG of pale amber malt. As this would take for ever to make in my oven i opted to look at other recipes that use less pale amber malt.The problem with using carapils or caramalt to replace the pale amber malt is it isn't diastic .So you are limited by how much your pale malt will be able to convert your carapils or caramalt.The Simonds Bitter looks ok as it doesn't have too much pale amber malt to make. Cheers

cool, i like how this is going, i wonder of any of these suggestions will end up in best brew of 2009?

Rabmaxwell said:
I wanted to make the 68/- Ushers mild a while back but with my brew size i needed 14 KG of pale amber malt. As this would take for ever to make in my oven i opted to look at other recipes that use less pale amber malt.
We had a discussion around this on UK Homebrew
and Geoff's recommendation was to blend a variety of Munich and other malts (say Diastatic Amber) to hit the right colour and still retain the diastatic properties. . . . . We did this for the 400L of Ushers Stout that we brewed at the Wibblers brewery in the summer

Latest posts

Back