Best Brew you have ever done Kit or All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi as we are getting a lot of new members thought it would be good to help them out and established brewers looking for Valhalla( I'm a Viking).
So if you have a brew whether Kit or AG tell us about it and if possible post the recipe it may help somebody to get that brew they have been looking for :beer1:

Best brew I have ever made is either the David Heath Verdant IPA or the HarryBrew69 Vacant Gesture.
Ive made the former twice and the latter three times (with the ingredients for no 4 in the cupboard ready).

Both amazing brews and the recipes are available on YouTube.

A favourite I've brewed a couple of times, was an American Brown Ale brewed for a homebrew club mini comp on the theme of chocolate. It was inspired by Chocolate Lime sweets, and drank like them, citrus up front and dark chocolate bitterness at the end. Would likely work as a chocolate orange theme, swapping the Wai-iti and citra for Manderina Bavaria and Amarillo. I like an American Brown, a nice easy drinking centre ground beer.

Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Colour: 46.7 EBC
Estimated IBU: 45.0 IBUs
Mash: 60 Minutes @ 66.7
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Mash.

Maris Otter Blend (6.0 EBC) – 76.0 %
Cara-Pils (2.5 EBC) – 6.9 %
Munich Malt (40.0 EBC) – 5.5 %
Crystal Malt 60L (120.0 EBC) – 5.1 %
Chocolate Malt (1050.0 EBC) – 4.5 %
Torrified Wheat(3.9 EBC) – 2.0 %

Boil

Target [11.50 %] – 5.68g @ 60.0 min (15.0 IBUs)
Wai-iti [3.40 %] – 19.37g @ 15.0 min (7.5 IBUs)
Citra [13.50 %] – 5.37g @ 15.0 min (7.5 IBUs)
Protofloc – ½ Tablet @ 15.0 min
Wai-iti [3.40 %] – 31.74g @ 0.0 min (7.5 IBUs) 20 minute steep.
Citra [13.50 %] – 7.99g @ 0.0 min (7.5 IBUs) 20 minute steep.

Fermented at 20C with Whitelabs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast, or any hop friendly yeast. Liberty Bell would work.

Best brew I've ever made has got to be Sara Carter's Bombay IPA, it's an absolute stonker.
Best kit is a toss up between Festival Razorback IPA and Love Brewing's President's Sierra American Pale Ale.

Cheers Tom

I kegged Greg Hughes recipe for ESB today and tasting the flat warm beer straight from the FV it has the makings of a fine one.

Wilko's gold IPA on top of the yeast left from a woodfordes admirals reserve. Left in the bucket for around 6 months. Thought I'd ruined it but it's the best tasting to me yet.

I once did a Wilko First Gold Ipa and added some extra First Gold as a dry hop and I enjoyed that

Do you know Galena I know I am the OP but I have that ever changing best ever so I personally find it hard to choose as it will change next week. At the moment it was a IPA I made with Punked hops from CML just a simple pale ale malt base with a 200g whirlpool of the said plus a 50g dry hop. But it will change as I have just rattled off 4 brews for Chrimbo and once matured in a week or so they may take over:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

haha I know what you mean, and for the same reason I didn't actually state which was my best ever brew, just one that has the makings of :beer1:

I only started last year and have been doing kits. So far my top 3 are,

Bruphoria James Blonde Ale from the HomeBrew Company.

Mangrove Jack's Pink Grapefruit IPA

Mangrove Jack's Australian Pale Ale

I have a Witbier on at the moment, looking forward to a change. I am currently drinking Festival Razorback IPA and Mangrove Jack's Juicy Session IPA. Both are lovely, but not in my top 3.

Do you know Galena I know I am the OP but I have that ever changing best ever so I personally find it hard to choose as it will change next week.
It's tricky. With so many things to experiment with and new ingredients to try, for me it was the one where the beer in my head matched the beer in the glass the closest.

It’s a tough one this. Probably one of my 4 “regular” brews:
  • Belgian wit - best one I made had the MJ wit yeast (preferred this to WLP400) with about 10% oats. Oh, and I’m a purist and this must always be made with torrefied wheat and not malted.
  • NEIPA - the first one I did after starting water treatment was mind blowing compared to previous attempts (I have very soft, lager water). The hop combo of citra, Galaxy and El Dorado is my favourite for this I think.
  • Munich Helles - I always drink this before it’s ready. It’s very good early on, but there’s a sweet spot about 6 weeks after kegging where it’s absolutely outstanding. My water profile is very suited to this style so I have a bit of an advantage.
  • APA - I’ve been trying to master my recipe for about 4 years. Think I’ve settled in 50/50 Vienna/pale, and 225g of Falconers Flight split between boil, flame out and a small dry hop

Sure is a tough question to answer. About 250 brews in here, my AG brews are definately the best beers I've made and still getting better, however for beginners I look back at the following with fondness. I'd also say that they aren't that far off a decent AG brew, the tinned kits say 70% and the extract kits say 90% as good.
  • "vanilla" tinned kits (no hops): Woodfordes Wherry (brewed short to 21L), Muntons Smugglers and Brewferm Oud Vlaams Bruin (now called Flemish Brown).
  • "vanilla" tinned kits with dry hoping: Tiny Rebel Cwtch.
  • extract kits with a hop boil: any of the BrewUK Extract range, in particular St Austell Proper Job and Exmoor Gold (which is still a fave of mine with AG brewing)
All the above need a decent conditioning time and improve vastly with ageing, in particular Wherry and Smugglers - leave them alone for 2 months if you can.

Latest posts

Back