Best Three you have ever done

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiderwebster

Reaction score
Hi Gang looking to do another beer kit , but I thought I would see what kits keep popping up ,Let me know if you done the kit and did not jazz it up and thought it was great or you have done it again with a twist , just trying to get a good picture of the go to kits , I have done Golden Stag , landlords finest , Wherry , Coopers Aussie P .A . Razorback .Thanks in advance .

Youngs Harvest Stout ( amazingly my husband prefers this to Coopers Stout !! ) Coopers Australian Pale Ale & Woodefordes Admirals Reserve as top 3 kits !

Unmodified - Only Cooper's Stout.

Tweaked - Cooper's Canadian Blonde, 1kg Brew enhancer, plus 500g light spray malt boiled with a few litres of water, Saaz hops at 15 and 5 mins.

I've done even better brews mini mashing plus a kit, but I feel that's so much modification it's not really what your asking for here.

Young's American IPA, Young's Oaked Rum Ale (so good I'm now drinking my second batch), Tiny Rebel Cwtch.

This changes all the time....but top 3 at the moment would be:
Mangrove Jack's Hoppy American Porter
Youngs American Red IPA
HBC Dead Phony IPA

(honourable mentions to : Youngs AIPA, Youngs APA and Bulldog Four Finger Jack)

brewferm abdij & kriek. all the other kits I pimped. I did follow their suggestion to add candi sugar :D I doubled up on them as you don't get that much per can.

They do take a good while to reach their best - 3 months plus - I.M.O.

Just about any Beerworks kit i have used have been a cut above any other kit i have tried, up to 4.2kg liquid malt and 20g yeast is not uncommon

Youngs IPA

Brewferm kits are great but best to brew with 2 can to 18 litres, and ditch the kit yeast for a highly rated Belgian abbey/tripel

Cheers Gang , I have just got a Young’s APA , I want to lower the ABV to about the 4.5 to 5 Mark. So I can have a bit of a session with it , what’s the best way .......lower the sugar and by how much ..... or just keep it the same , and no doubt get a bollocking of the misses for shouting out Naked Drinking and running about the garden in the buff . At about 1400.....

I wouldn't worry about it too much. For starters I've generally found the ABV stated on most kits to be somewhat optimistic so this probably comes in nearer 5% rather than the 5.5% estimate. Secondly if you can exercise some control (difficult I know!) then drink less of it, a smaller glass helps and it will last longer. Finally you'll get used to it in the end, which is probably a bad thing.

I've brewed this one and it did come out at the target ABV once priming sugar was added.

I think this kit comes with two pouches of extract, a bag of brewing sugar for fermentation and a bag of sugar for priming. So could leave out the bag of brewing sugar or just put some more water in to lower the ABV (although you might need to add some extra sugar for priming for the greater volume - can't imagine it would be much). I'd go with the extra water because you end up with more beer!

This one took a little while to condition for me but started to come good after a couple of months in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back