Best way to make cider from fresh apples, pear and rhubarb?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobMorgan1981

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been given a load of apples, pears and rhubarb. How should I go about making cider from them? I don't have a press, I normally brew from kits. I have a sachet of cider yeast.
Suggestions on a postcard please....

I havenlt tried it but came across the 'juice and strain' approach which could work with cheaper gadgets than This but the links do go on to some vids. We had a late frost here this year and I have zero apples/pears but most years get barrowloads from my orchards and may try the idea next year. On the other hand apple juice is so cheap to buy...
I love stewed apples and stewed pears so most years I've done huge batches for the freezer - no added sugar needed from eating apples stewed - and a margarine tub of stewed fruit lasts me 2-3 days. I just had to buy an extra freezer to keep it all in...

You need the juice, I'd try cutting the apples n' pears into cubes and freezing them which will make them mushy when you defrost. You can then press the mush with a spoon through a metal sieve a bit at a time over a saucepan to collect the juice. (Even though I have a press I juice blackberries this way as it's less faff and mess). I've never tried juicing rhubarb, if freezing doesn't work I'd try simmering in a bit of water until mushy and then back to the sieve.

I assume you have demijohns? If not then the local tip is a good place to look (picked up 4 for £1 each at our local tip last year) or free-ads (picked up 6 off Gumtree for £2 each this spring). You have the yeast, so all you need is sugar. :^)

Last edited:
I was just going to stick it in my FV with an airlock on top 😬 the rhubarb is currently in the freezer 👌do I need to add water? Or it is fine just to brew using the juices alone?

Latest posts

Back