BIAB newbie question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott33b

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have now done 2 kits, 2nd one still in fv.
I have bought a buffalo boiler to start BIAB, am I moving too quickly to this method as I'm a total newbie to brewing?
My main question is, after reading through Calum's excellent how to, is sugar not added to the wort after boiling? I though the yeast ate the sugar to turn it to alcohol.
Cheers :cheers:
Scott

Hi Scott I did the same as you after 2 kits i moved over

And with mashing the grains (steeping them in hot water ) you are extracting the sugar from the grains, which the yeast then "eats"

Scott33b said:
Ah! I see.
How do you find the BIAB? Better ale?

yeah im loving it, done about 4 batches now and all of them have turned out amazing.

I would have gone for a full 3 tier system if I had room but living in a flat has limited my space

Cool. I've got plenty of room for brewing, but was thinking BIAB was easiest next step.

BIAB in my view is the easiest way of getting into All Grain (AG) brewing. Especially if you are restricted for space. Now drinking my AG #4, a Directors Bitter clone, it is just phantastic. Before this brew I had a kit brew in the barrel, which was ok for everyday drinking, but compared to AG it lacked body especially (ok you can address this by additions).
Anyway, glad you are making the jump - and plan your next brew as soon as the first one is in the FV!!

Hi Scott,
I think you are moving a little quickly as you haven't yet grasped the basics of the brewing process but don't panic.
There are plenty of people to answer your questions online and some great resources to fill in the gaps of your knowledge no matter your skill level.
The 1st edition of John Palmers 'How to Brew' is available free online and it is good starting point but since it was written things have moved on.

http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

I also like 'Brew your own British Real Ale' as it has both instructions and great recipes - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-Briti ... 1852492589

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll be fine. It's not rocket science. Soak the grains for 60-90 minutes at 65-70C, remove the bag, bring to the boil, chuck in some hops, chuck some in at the end, cool down, chuck some yeast in.

It will be loads better than kit beer as long as your sanitation is good. If beer goes wrong it tends to be after it's been cooled, when it's at a temperature that attracts unwelcome visitors, and kit brewers know that bit.

Thanks for tips folks.
You only learn from your mistakes, so I'm of the opinion give it a go learning as you experiment. :thumb:

You're not moving to quickly mate, grain is more forgiving than what some people think.

I did two kits and then went to Biab and have done about 20 AG brews now.

It is without doubt the easiest route into AG brewing.

Pick an easy recipe to start with and crack on, once you've worked out your losses you'll be away.

Then once you're happy with your process you can start doing more complex recipes and water treatments ect.

Good luck.

Get the BIABacus spreadsheet from biabrewer.org. It will work out all your volumes etc for you. Its automatic guesses are pretty good.

Thanks guys.
Jonnyd has been a star on here. He's made me up a recipe for one of the Fyne Ales, which is a favourite of mine. That's going to be my first AG.

Latest posts

Back