Biab set up which one

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marcusp

Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting my first biab set up together and have just received my bag for a 70ltr pot.
My dilemma is that I was all set to buy the pot and accessories from the home brew builder and was planning on using a 7.5kw gas boiler with gas bottle as I will be brewing outside and in the garage when someone mentioned the pros and cons of gas and electric and I'm now confused on what's the best.

With gas I don't have to worry about scorching the bag but the issues raised are the chance of running out of gas during a brew, the cost of gas compared to electric and having to find some sort of windbreak as gas is inefficient outside.

I've been told electricity is cheaper and more convenient but I have concerns regarding the exposed element on the bag.

If I went for the electricity option would one 2.4kw element be sufficient for double brews or should I get two fitted.

How do I stop the bag burning and do the elements have a shelf life.

I've posted a link to the pot and accessories I'm looking at and would appreciate an advice
I know I can use a false bottom to protect the bag but which one should I go for and is this the same as the hop filter they do

http://www.homebrewbuilder.co.uk/hlts%2 ... ttles.html

Marcusp said:
planning on using a 7.5kw gas boiler with gas bottle as I will be brewing outside and in the garage

Exactly what I'll be doing, but for now I just fire up all the burners on the hob.

Marcusp said:
With gas I don't have to worry about scorching the bag

Correct.

Marcusp said:
the chance of running out of gas during a brew

Run two bottles. :thumb:

Marcusp said:
the cost of gas compared to electric

No idea what the electricity cost for a BIAB brew is but, seriously? When you are brewing 40l of beer for less than 20 quid does a couple of quid on gas really matter? Or rather does, let's say, a quid difference between gas and electricity matter?

Marcusp said:
some sort of windbreak as gas is inefficient outside

It's a shroud you need. A ring of steel that allows air in underneath to the burner and channels the heat up to and preferably round the base of the pot.

Marcusp said:
I have concerns regarding the exposed element on the bag

Cotton should be fine, nylon I'd be worried.

Marcusp said:
would one 2.4kw element be sufficient for double brews or should I get two fitted

No idea I'm afraid. I would guess at two though.

Marcusp said:
How do I stop the bag burning

Either use gas, cotton bag (I think) or build some form of grille over your elements.

Marcusp said:
do the elements have a shelf life

No, but they do have an operational life. ;) Not sure how often you'll kill them though, plenty use them so someone should be along shortly.

I have a 70l pot with two 2.4W elements fitted. With a chimney in the lid rather having the lid off I think one would hold a rolling boil. The elements aren't on when the bag is in mashing so burning the bag isn't an issue. My friend has installed stainless steel cutlery holders from Ikea over his elements so he can power then up with the bag in. I only lose about 1 degree during my mash so I haven't felt the need to cover my elements, but I do brew inside in the warm.

Underground Joe said:
The elements aren't on when the bag is in mashing so burning the bag isn't an issue

Except if you top up the temperature during mash or perform a mashout...

EDIT: Or stepped mashes - one of the massive benefits to BIAB.

Hi Marc
I've used both. Leccy is quicker and more efficient - at least, that's my mileage. I was using my gas hob with first, a 19, then a 33 litre pot. Hob has an extra large middle 5th ring - think it's meant for a wok, but don't know the output in kw. Took a long time to reach an 'ok' boil.

Now use a 60 litre boiler with 2 and 3 kw elements. Much quicker to reach the boil with 2 elements, and a better rolling boil is maintained by the 3kw element solo once boiling. Many folk protect their bag from burning with one of these (or similar):

http://www.buyspares.co.uk/microwave/mi ... odel_ref=0

I've never used a 7.5kw lpg burner, so maybe someone who has can make a more direct comparison with leccy.
Cheers, Chris

calumscott said:
Underground Joe said:
The elements aren't on when the bag is in mashing so burning the bag isn't an issue

And that's why I also said about my friend covering his elements.

Underground Joe said:
calumscott said:
[quote="Underground Joe":1l7rzzs0]The elements aren't on when the bag is in mashing so burning the bag isn't an issue

And that's why I also said about my friend covering his elements.[/quote:1l7rzzs0]

:thumb:

google 'heatstick' for a gheto solution and an element on the end of a stick/pipe, for dropping into a pot..

you wont find a single commercial option probably cos its a lethal idea..

A SS cake stand or bbq grill can be used to stand off the elements in an electric boiler keeping the grain bag off the heat.

Would you be risking scorching the bag on gas if it was on when the heat was on?

I've got a 7.5kwh boiler and don't have a garage to brew in. I did one outside in autumn, and had to stand guard, leaf catching for 90 mins...

Personally i'd think electric is probably more convenient, but I quite like brewing outside on the whole... feels more real :)

Also I have eco 7 electric, and my day rate is about 15p per kwh... 2 x 3kwh elements on for say 90 mins boil, 30 mins heating to mash temp, 20 mins heating to boil = about £2.10... probably cheaper for me to use gas.

I have a dual rate electric meter aswell. Could always brew after midnight for cheaper leccy :whistle: going to St mine up in the shed so no problem and working shifts I never seem to sleep at a decent time anyway.

At the moment I'm using a 70 lt pot on top of a stove and it takes a while to get to temp. I thought about converting it to use elements but I've had enough trouble with a leaky tap I'm really reluctant to add another 2 wholes to my baby.

Ive read the guide but still a bit worried, any done this themselves ?

b4dg3r said:
At the moment I'm using a 70 lt pot on top of a stove and it takes a while to get to temp. I thought about converting it to use elements but I've had enough trouble with a leaky tap I'm really reluctant to add another 2 wholes to my baby.

Ive read the guide but still a bit worried, any done this themselves ?

fyi elements seal a lot easier than the diy tap fixings in my limited experience. the SS low watt density elements i got via the homebrewbuilder.co.uk sealed when done up with hands alone..

Latest posts

Back