BIAB to All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do BIAB although don't tend to buy kits. Probably the best thing to do is to put the grain bill into brewers friend or similar to see what numbers you get as I believe "all grain" with a mash tun etc can be more efficient. In most cases I increase my grain bill to compensate for the lower efficiency I get using BIAB so it depends whether the kit has more grain than you would for an all grain recipe.

Hope that makes sense, it did in my head...

BIAB is all grain so you can just brew in your usually method, you'll probably get a better effeciency with a full set up though.

As it's only a 3 gallon kit are you looking to increase the volume of brew?

BIAB is all grain so you can just brew in your usually method, you'll probably get a better effeciency with a full set up though.

As it's only a 3 gallon kit are you looking to increase the volume of brew?

So far i’ve done extract but i’ve upgraded my set up to have a mash tun and a 6 gallon boiler so i’m fairly flexible with
how i approach this one. If increasing the volume is worth it then i would happily do that. I’m open to advice and suggestions

I would just stick to the kit size if it's your first all grain.
Put all the numbers into some brewing software, and keep a record of what happens. Next time you can experiment a bit more or brew a full volume.

Worst case scenario your efficiency will be higher than the kit is designed for (and even that appears to be debateable), so you'll end up with a stronger beer.

BIAB is basically just a method of AG just in one pot and a full volume mash

I put those numbers in my brewmate and assuming its US gallons thats spot on for 70% efficiency, I wouldn't get hung up and brew it however you want.

Back