BIAB Upgrade help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster85

Reaction score
Hi was hoping to get a few ideas on my next possible upgrade. So far i have kegs sorted a fermentation chamber that holds 3 Fv at a time, and i brew in a 33l SS pot, currently I have in mind adding a RIMS setup but unsure if this is needed will this increase my efficiency at all? Currently i do Full volume BIAB and lose around 1C over the mashing period, other thing i was looking at is a beer gun to bottle from kegs any other suggestions?

Cheers

Mainly to improve my efficiency, currently alway brew around 20 ltrs to fill a keg bigger beers would be nice was looking at a mash tun from Angel homebrew but I like how simple the single vessel is and really would only get used every now and then to brew a bigger beer, the reason for the beer gun was so I could take freshly kegged beer to friends who don't know about brewing and don't understand what the sediment is at the bottom basically just for the bottles to look nice to friends and family

|Beer gun would be good.
What efficiency do you get now. I do a simple BIAB and have hit highs of 80% but usually look for 72%

Usually hover and70% only way I could get a bigger beer once over 11% was to do a double mash using the wort from the first mash as the water for the 2nd killed the efficiency but got it up higher, didn't taste too great though hence the idea of a mash tun but wouldnt get used as much so I think so far beer gun is winning

I love my beergun - don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one.
For the big beers could you mash in less water in your normal pot to make room for the grain, and batch sparge the grain bag in a spare FV with the extra water you need? I do this because my pot isn't big enough to do full volume for the batch size I brew

Cheers Dan think the beer gun may be the way to go and do batch sparing for bigger beers, I've seen 2 beer guns on keg kingdom one is the blichman v2 and the other looks like a cheaper version you used either of these or any recommendations?

Cheers Dan think the beer gun may be the way to go and do batch sparing for bigger beers, I've seen 2 beer guns on keg kingdom one is the blichman v2 and the other looks like a cheaper version you used either of these or any recommendations?
I've got the blichman v2 and really rate it - after a couple of goes to get used to its simple and quick to use. If the beer has a decent amount of carbonation I've found its worth chilling bottles before filling to keep foaming down though.
I haven't tried any others to compare to so they might be equally as good.

I've got the blichman v2 and really rate it - after a couple of goes to get used to its simple and quick to use. If the beer has a decent amount of carbonation I've found its worth chilling bottles before filling to keep foaming down though.
I haven't tried any others to compare to so they might be equally as good.
That's great cheers Dan ill look into this thanks again

Back