Quantcast

Bier de Garde brewday

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
So this is it - my first attempt at something exotic. Got the water heating up now for the mash. Bier de Garde from the Greg Hughes book, but I've reduced the amount of pale malt a little to get the ABV down a bit.

It's been a bit delayed as I should have had it done last week but opened my new 25Kg sack of pale malt only to discover that I'd accidentally ordered whole grain instead of crushed. So I got a grain mill which came yesterday complete with no assembly instructions and I had to do quite a bit to it to get it to fit together properly - the split pin on the end of the screw had been fitted in such a way as it couldn't help fouling the body of the grinder, then I found the bottom of the grain hopper was so bashed in that I had to straighten it all out to fit the base. The joys of buying cheap c**p from Taiwan or wherever. Slightly surprised that once assembled it actually worked ok - 7lb of grain milled in about 20 minutes. I can live with that.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well it's boiling now and the first lot of hops - brewers gold - have gone in. Must be pretty `thick' stuff, when it came to the boil it shot a gob of wort down my sleeve and I've got a nice little burn there now.

IainM

Syphon-sucking bag squeezer
Reaction score
opened my new 25Kg sack of pale malt only to discover that I'd accidentally ordered whole grain instead of crushed. So I got a grain mill
This is a great idea, I might nick it. "Oh drat darling, I accidentally ordered whole grain instead of crushed. I'm going to have to buy a mill" :lol:

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is a great idea, I might nick it. "Oh drat darling, I accidentally ordered whole grain instead of crushed. I'm going to have to buy a mill" :lol:
I'm kind of glad I've got it now - mash was an instant froth (rather than the lacklustre reaction you get when your crushed grain is getting a bit stale) and my efficiency was spot on compared to the recipe, allowing for the fact that I reduced the grain bill to reduce the ABV a bit. OG was 1058 which was what I was aiming for.
It's in the airing cupboard now with a thick creamy krausen on it. Just as well as the only French saison I could find was £6.85!!!! so I guess I'm going to be re-pitching the trub a couple of times to spread the cost.