Billy Basic Saison?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llamaman

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all
I want to embrace the warmer weather and a small space in my brew cupboard to brew a simple recipe saison in a 5L Tesco Ashbeck water jug left over from my stout brew.

This will be a very low volume experimental so I want to keep it simple so as to not spend too long on a small yieldof bottles.
My tinkering on Brewer'sFriend came up with;

3L boil for 15 minutes;
0.4kg Extra Light DME
0.2kg Wheat DME
35g Saaz (15 minutes)

Dilute to 4L in fermenter
Danstar Belle Saison (part of sachet)
15g Saaz dry hop

This should yield;
OG 1.053 GF 1.016 ABV 4.83%
IBU 32.19 SRM 3.41

Does this look OK? Should I add a few grams of dextrose?

I've used Belle Saison three times, and it's fermented out to 1.000 each time, so I wouldn't add any dextrose.

I've used Belle Saison three times, and it's fermented out to 1.000 each time, so I wouldn't add any dextrose.
Thanks. Was that an AG or extract brew? I've read that extract doesn't ferment out as fully as AG.
Thinking about it, I should have said 'substitute' not 'add'. I don't think saisons need to be strong, so 5% is plenty.

Just added the yeast I started from a bottle of Saison (Saison d'Erpe-Mere ) from brewery De Glazen Toren in Erpe-Mere, Belgium, I had to step it up 3 times to get what I think is enough yeast for the 22 lit. I brewed this morning. Decanted the 'beer' from the starter and tasted it - very dry and had a definite saison taste, so I've got a good feeling about this - well time will tell!
Good luck with your trial brew!
Cheers

@Llamaman All-grain, but Belle Saison will quite happily ferment your old gym socks, if allowed. They all turned out well, if a little dry.

Best of luck with the brew.

Just brewed this tonight. Made a lot of rookie errors (it was my first boil in over 10 years) but I have 3.75L of "Quarter-Arsed Saison" brewing now. Looks very murky as my attempts to filter it properly went wrong so I just had to dump it in the fermenter. May need to filter it when I bottle but that's for another day...

I wouldn't worry about clarity pre-fermentation. I do 'short 'n' shoddy' 1/2 hour mash/1/2 hour boil stovetop brews, everything gets tipped in the FV, and they all turn out crystal clear. And if they don't ? as long as they taste good, why worry ?

Just tasted a bit of this using a wine thief. Tastes good and quite saisony - I was hoping for a bit more character but may have overpitched a little (half sachet in quarter batch) and fermented too cool (a mere 28C at the moment). But I think it'll make a tasty quaffer.
Could bottle now I think (8 days) but I'll give it a bit longer to settle out as there was still some yeast globs floating on the surface.

Latest posts

Back