Bit of a nightmare brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
Brewed on Sunday 10th Jan, all went fine until I came to cool the wort, I have a counter-flow chiller with a UK garden hose attachment only so I usually just connect the counter-flow chiller to an external tap with a hose for every brew, pumping the wort through the chiller with my all-in-one system built-in pump. Sadly this Sunday the tap and hose were frozen solid. I tried but failed to get the tap to work. Ended up leaving the wort covered and cooled naturally for about 5 hours before I could get the tap going again. I had also rehydrated the US05 yeast which I just left covered in a cupboard for 5 hours too. I eventually pitched the yeast and now hope for the best. 24 hours on the airlock isn't bubbling yet but there is pressure as the water is being pushed round the U-bend. I hope rehydrating yeast for 5 hours before pitch doesn't kill it, anyone know ? thanks

Brewed on Sunday 10th Jan, all went fine until I came to cool the wort, I have a counter-flow chiller with a UK garden hose attachment only so I usually just connect the counter-flow chiller to an external tap with a hose for every brew, pumping the wort through the chiller with my all-in-one system built-in pump. Sadly this Sunday the tap and hose were frozen solid. I tried but failed to get the tap to work. Ended up leaving the wort covered and cooled naturally for about 5 hours before I could get the tap going again. I had also rehydrated the US05 yeast which I just left covered in a cupboard for 5 hours too. I eventually pitched the yeast and now hope for the best. 24 hours on the airlock isn't bubbling yet but there is pressure as the water is being pushed round the U-bend. I hope rehydrating yeast for 5 hours before pitch doesn't kill it, anyone know ? thanks
It's probably not ideal but unlikely to be desperate either. I have had some quiet long lag times with US05 and I don't think 24 hours is unheard of. Patience may yet be rewarded.

I once waited, certianly in excess of 24 hours for US 05 to show any signs of life

I was concerned that leaving rehydrated yeast at room temperature for 5 Hours would kill it but thankfully it’s bubbling away nicely now. Note to self - make sure water supply isn’t frozen before starting brew day.

I spent a lot of time on my brew day on Sunday thawing out the outside tap for my immersion chiller. I did it eventually by using a hair drying on it. One good thing is once it’s working the temperature of the ground water means the wort chilled in no time 🍻

I was concerned that leaving rehydrated yeast at room temperature for 5 Hours would kill it but thankfully it’s bubbling away nicely now. Note to self - make sure water supply isn’t frozen before starting brew day.
I think the only thing the yeast would have been stressing over is being woken up, and not getting breakfast for five hours, they must have been bloody starving.

Back