blackberry cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty198111

Reaction score
ok i posted before about having alot of blackberry and apples

and i would really like to make a blackberry cider

ive searched the net but cannot find anything ( although im not the best with one of these machines ) so does anyone have an idea of how i should go about it

even if youve not done it before if you could just point me in the right direction i would be very grateful

many thanks

Crush your apples to a fine pulp . . . add blackberries then tip into a press and press the juice out . . . add 1 Campden tablet per gallon of juice . . . then 24 hours later add a cider yeast and allow to ferment.

Personally I quarter the apples and freeze them . . . . Then I let them thaw before pulping it's much easier.

Be warned its a lot of work for little juice unless you really have a decent Scratter and a good press.

ok u may laugh at this

but i dont have a press

i do however have a very good juicer that u put whole fruit in and it gives alot of juice and a small amount of pulp, would that be any good

cheers

also do i have to pulp the blackberry

I know someone who burnt out a juicer making cider . . . you might have luck if you have frozen / thawed it first.

The blackberries are small/soft enough to not require pulping.

I don't think fermenting on the pulp works well for ciders . . . really need to press the juice in some way if you can

thats a shame cause i dont have a press and at the moment i cant afford a press

and i really wanted to make some

never mind :(

I visited a cider museum a year ago. Some old presses were just apple pulp wrapped in muslim (a 'cheese'), on a piece of wood, with a block of wood laid on top. guttering all around the edge and keep stacking bricks on top.

Can you afford to get those bits to give that a go?

sorry for being abit slow

but what is the difference in pressin the juice out and gettin it from a juiicer

matty198111 said:

but what is the difference in pressin the juice out and gettin it from a juiicer

By and large you get tons more from pressing and juicers take longer even for the amount you do get.

EDIT: This post was my 200th on these forums. I like to make a note of these things if I can :)

hypnoticmonkey said:
matty198111 said:

By and large you get tons more from pressing and juicers take longer even for the amount you do get.

EDIT: This post was my 200th on these forums. I like to make a note of these things if I can :)

is it possible to do it with a juicer and i mean will the cider turn out ok

matty198111 said:
hypnoticmonkey said:
matty198111 said:

is it possible to do it with a juicer and i mean will the cider turn out ok

Yeah, you just wont get as much juice for your fruit and you'll risk burning out the juicer if you over work it.

ok thanks i may give it ago then.

the juicer is rather good so hopefully iw ill get enough juice, i put 2 apples in there and only ended up with just under a teaspoon of pulp

just wandered do i put the pulp in the fermenter aswell

and what ratio for the apples and blackcurrant does 30% blackcurrant sound ok or shall i go for more

thanks

no i wouldn't put the pulp in the fermenter. Things like cider, it's best just to use juice.

I've no experience of fruit ciders, but I'd say try 20-25%? That would be one part blackberry for every 3-4 parts apple which sounds about right to me.

hypnoticmonkey said:
no i wouldn't put the pulp in the fermenter. Things like cider, it's best just to use juice.

I've no experience of fruit ciders, but I'd say try 20-25%? That would be one part blackberry for every 3-4 parts apple which sounds about right to me.

thankyou for your help

im going to start this one tomorrow, gonna start a wow tonight as ive heard so many good things about it

once again thanks

ok im just getting ready to start this one

do i have this right

i need about 25% blackberry to 75 % apple juice

also how much sugar do i add, ive only got normal granulated sugar

do i make all together 2 litres of juice and top rest up with water or do i use all juice

add 1 campden tablet to 1 gallon and 24hrs later add the yeast

and then just allow to ferment ( approx how long will it take )

do i then just leave it in the bin until the gravity is correct ( which would be ? )

and then bottle, and do i add some sugar to bottles

bet u guys are gettin fed up with my questions lol

cheers

mat

If its a 'true' cider then you just use the juice as is and add no sugar . . . both act as flavour dilutants.

Everything else looks OK . . . it should take around 7 days to ferment but there is no issue leaving it longer . . . I would expect the FG to be in the region of 0.995/0.990 . . . and it should start art around 1.045 ish.

If you want a carbonated dry cider add sugar . . . for a sweeter cider try splenda . . . alternatively a splash of apple juice on pouring

Latest posts

Back