Boiler Volume /best/quickest/cheapest way to measure?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigelnorris

Beavis at Bat
Reaction score
How do I find out how much liquid is in my boiler, anyone got a quick tip? Marking the inside walls sounds dubious, I thought about marking my stirrer but it's white plastic so nothing shows up.

Hi!
I'm getting in quick with Dutto's idea!
I used a piece of dowel and made an ullage stick.
Put some water in your boiler and open the tap until it stops running. Close the tap.
Put the stick in the boiler until it just touches the surface of your water - mark the stick as 0 litres.
Then keep adding a litre at a time and marking the dowel accordingly until you get to your maximum capacity.
The beauty of an ullage stick is that it doesn't go into the liquid.

The handiest would be a dowling rod/stick where using a jug although time time consuming,measure a litre and pour it into the boiler,allow to settle then insert your stick,mark and repeat three times.Once done take a tape measure and measure the distance between each one although make sure to allow for any deadspace you may have in your boiler noting how much you have had to add to begin your marker then mark each one accordingly.This will give roughly how much you have actually added and good for a rough scale.
You could also place your boiler on a set of scales allowing 1kg for each litre of water and this will tell how much you have precisely but only for water as when your are boiling wort the density shall change in the liquid.
Hope this helps.

Sounds like a good idea. Not convinced about the idea of a wooden dowel though, would have to be something less pervious like metal or plastic. But then that's back to my original problem of how to legibly mark it.

Quoting is broken for me on this new software. Oh well.

Sounds like a good idea. Not convinced about the idea of a wooden dowel though, would have to be something less pervious like metal or plastic. But then that's back to my original problem of how to legibly mark it.

Quoting is broken for me on this new software. Oh well.
The wooden dowl is only for marking and bearing in mind that you will be boiling afterward so won't make any difference.You could us plastic or even SS.

Pi r² x Height = Volume of your boiler, adjust the height calculation by however much lower your water level is, eg if you need 25l then adjust the height calculation down until you get to approx 25l, there are plenty of online calculators to make it easy.

So really all I need is a foot-and-a-half ruler. Pre-marked and easy enough to work out how many litres/inch.

In fact now that I've been given the idea of measuring the amount that's missing rather than sticking something into the beer all I need is a tape measure, of which I have half a dozen kicking about. Quick and cheap, job done.

I've just bought a 20 inch stainless steel ruler off eBay from China for 99p. Saves having to mess about with unhygienic tape measures. Wonder if I can just glue it to the inside of the boiler.

I just use a long S/S spoon that is marked using a permanent marker. It is only in during filling and then taken out so no need for fixing. If I need to measure at the end of the boil then I just put it back in again. The markings survive remarkably well and only need touching up every 3 brews or so.

Hi!
Not convinced about the idea of a wooden dowel though, would have to be something less pervious like metal or plastic.

. . . but the ullage stick is never immersed in the liquid! It is held until the tip touches the surface of the liquid.
You are measuring the empty volume, not the volume of the liquid.

But then that's back to my original problem of how to legibly mark it

Because the dowel is never immersed in the liquid, it doesn't matter how you mark it.

Why would you fill to the tap and call that 0 - don't you tip the boiler to get every drop of wort out? I do.

. . . but the ullage stick is never immersed in the liquid! It is held until the tip touches the surface of the liquid.
You've never been in my kitchen on brewday. Pretty much everything from floor to ceiling ends up wet and sticky at one stage or another.

Jesus this software is poor. Why is it so complicated to do something as simple as add a quote?

There is nothing wrong with the software and if you took a couple of minutes to read the teething trouble thread you would have soon found the answer, to quote the full post click Reply in the bottom right corner of the post you want to quote, if you want to quote part highlight the part you want and you will see an option to quote or reply, reply is the quicker option.

Well you've just highlighted one thing that's wrong with it for a start, if you want to quote someone you have to press something other than the quote button, where's the logic in that? When I do press quote a grey box appears then disappears, no sign of anything actually getting quoted.

As for the teething troubles thread it's 300 posts long, if I've got to read a 300 page instruction manual to use an internet forum there's definitely something wrong.

That grey box just came up again when I pressed the post button, I'd love to know what it does.

Ullage Stick.jpg
Telling people to "Read the fecking Manual!" was what kept me and my family in luxury for many, many years!:laugh:This is an Ullage Stick. It measures what isn't there and as I have already indicated what distance from the top of the boiler means, it tells me what IS there!

Enjoy! :gulp:

That grey box just came up again when I pressed the post button, I'd love to know what it does.
I just went to all the trouble to find another xenforo forum and signed up for membership [urban75, looks interesting] just to find out what that grey box does, and lo and behold it should contain text. Or at least now that I know what to look for I see that it actually does contain text, but the contrast between the white text and the grey box on my monitor is negligible so I hadn't even noticed that it was there.

Well you've just highlighted one thing that's wrong with it for a start, if you want to quote someone you have to press something other than the quote button, where's the logic in that?

You have two options to quote, clicking REPLY adds the full post as a quote highlighting any part of the post gives you the option to quote just the part you have highlighted by clicking on the box that appears at the end of the highlighted part.

As for the teething troubles thread it's 300 posts long, if I've got to read a 300 page instruction manual to use an internet forum there's definitely something wrong.

No one said you have to read 300 posts you could have simply asked if there was an easy way to quote and someone would have explained as i have.

There is now a basic guide - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/new-forum-tips-thread.75658/#post-734794

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back