boostin alcohol and hop aroma mid fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkar

Reaction score
Hi had a bit of botched brew earlier in the week hydrometer was busted so i ahd no way of knowing starting gravity until next day i tested a sample and the sg was down to about 1.032 So i presume it started around, 1.038-40 , then again it could have been lower. It is now nearly finished ie 1.011, meant to add some golden syrup to boost alcohol content or dme , would it be wise at this stage , would the yeasties eat it or are they gone to sleep ? no krausen on top of brew just specs of yeast and crud left

Tasted some already tastes good but alot of the hop aroma has been driven off , could i dry hop for couple of days before kegging , i was looking for some cascade type , but would styrian goldings work?

Theoretically there is nothing wrong with adding adjuncts during fermentation (some Belgian Brewerys do this). However you are introducing risk to the whole process.

If you are going to add it then you need to ensure that the sugar solution is sterile (mix with some water and simmer for a few minutes) and then ensure that wen introducing it that you do not introduce any oxygen to the solution. If the yeast are deprived of oxygen then they will continue to work on the sugars that are available.

so boil cool and poor slowly in to wort :thumb: , does it matter that the fg has nearly been reached ie will the yeast have finished their cycle, its jst a couple of points probably be completed in a couple of hours - which is better glucoes or golden syrup , glucose would appear better as its a simple sugar

For dry hoping could i just throw in a handleful of styrians and leave a week ?

barkar said:
so boil cool and poor slowly in to wort :thumb: , does it matter that the fg has nearly been reached ie will the yeast have finished their cycle, its jst a couple of points probably be completed in a couple of hours - which is better glucoes or golden syrup , glucose would appear better as its a simple sugar

For dry hoping could i just throw in a handleful of styrians and leave a week ?

Simple sugar will result in a dryer beer and won't add any body. The golden syrup should add a bit of body as it isn't all fermentable*

For dry hopping, make sure to break up the hops by hand to rupture the oil glands before tossing into the FV. This helps to get the best aroma out of your hops. Your process seems pretty sound :thumb:

* I have never used golden syrup, but this is what I seem to recall from reading this forum. I am sure someone with more knowledge in this area will be along shortly to help out :)

Thanks guys , i have used golden syrup before when i havent hit target FG works out well but again that was often introduced to the wort a day after the fermentation begins or a couple of hours after pitching, just worried that i would trigger another 3-4 days of a cycle which may impart odd flavours particularly when its started cleaning up diacyl or other undesirable flavours

Latest posts

Back