Bottle identification

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do coloured caps with a board, bit that's only because I wanted something decorative to have on the wall. The caps attach to the board with magnets. Cost about £5 in total. There are easier/cheaper ways as mentioned above, but like I say, I wanted something to show.View attachment 38084
That's a nice touch, I quite like it 👍

Bit confused by the first two though - I assume these are bottles you're buying in from Bingham's rather than clones you've made yourself?

(I'm also Berkshire based, conveniently about halfway Bingham's and Siren Craft breweries 👍🍻)

I adapted an idea from a post here and use little collars made from washi tape and shiny stars. So blue with green star is currently a Citra IPA, red with yellow... When all that Citra is used, they'll go on another brew.

They're quick to slip on and leave no residue to wash off.

Attachments

• APC_6531.jpg
    APC_6531.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 41
That's a nice touch, I quite like it 👍

Bit confused by the first two though - I assume these are bottles you're buying in from Bingham's rather than clones you've made yourself?

(I'm also Berkshire based, conveniently about halfway Bingham's and Siren Craft breweries 👍🍻)
Yeah, the photo was from the first lockdown before I had built up my stock (I was in a different room when I posted and was far too lazy to go and take an updated photo). I ordered a few cases from Binghams. I'd love to make a clone of the brickworks bitter. Between Binghams, Phantom and Loddon, I am spoilt somewhat for local breweries.

For the last bottle or two in a box, a toilet tube inner cut into 5mm strips, marked up and slipped over the top of bottles.

Might not be pretty but releases the box for a new batch.

Proper labels for giveaways and keepers, of course!

I colour code on the cap using little sticky dots you can buy in multipack sheets. Easy to peel off if using bottles with reusable caps like pet bottles or swing tops

I colour code on the cap using little sticky dots you can buy in multipack sheets. Easy to peel off if using bottles with reusable caps like pet bottles or swing tops
Same here when I’ve got more than one brew in bottles, until your kids decide to peel them off :laugh8:

Regardless of whether it's full size labels or just small pieces of paper with the initials of the beer so I can identify them, milk is the best adhesive. You can reposition and the labels come off with your thumb nail and just a quick wipe with a damp cloth to get rid of the residue. I'm not pulling your leg and it doesn't smell

I use coloured elastic bands. If you have 6 colours you can have 77 unique brews, maybe more.... with no more than 3 bands on a bottle

Regardless of whether it's full size labels or just small pieces of paper with the initials of the beer so I can identify them, milk is the best adhesive. You can reposition and the labels come off with your thumb nail and just a quick wipe with a damp cloth to get rid of the residue. I'm not pulling your leg and it doesn't smell

that’s interesting would have never thought milk?

I use coloured caps for normal beer bottles, and stick on coloured stars on the tops of the swing-top bottles. The stars are easy to peel off the ceramic tops when you wash the bottles out. I also put a slip of paper with a brief description of the beer, i.e. type, date bottled, ABV, and the identification colour into each crate, and finally I make a note of the colour in my brewing records.

I buy pale coloured caps in bulk - usually yellow or something, white just don't feel right - and write a gyle code (and usually a subcode as I usually split each gyle into different yeast experiments etc), which matches my brewing records.

For giving stuff away, I write the name with one of those "white" marker pens on the glass.

For cleaning - the stainless steel scourers (not Brillo pads) are awesome, they'll scrub anything off glass (but leave marks on crockery so don't do that).

I buy pale coloured caps in bulk - usually yellow or something, white just don't feel right - and write a gyle code (and usually a subcode as I usually split each gyle into different yeast experiments etc), which matches my brewing records.

For giving stuff away, I write the name with one of those "white" marker pens on the glass.

For cleaning - the stainless steel scourers (not Brillo pads) are awesome, they'll scrub anything off glass (but leave marks on crockery so don't do that).

yea that’s a good idea, I use swing tops capping seems like hard work 😓 but yea would be nice to have an easy way to remove labels.

yea that’s a good idea, I use swing tops capping seems like hard work 😓 but yea would be nice to have an easy way to remove labels.

Depends how much you like drinking Grosch! (I know, other swingtops are available)

Personally the capping is marginal in the context of the faff of bottling in general, and is probably paid back by the fact that plain bottles are easier to clean to a suitable standard.

Just for clarity, the scourers I mean are these things, they work great on glass (or Pyrex ovenware for that matter) :
1608825582876.png

Latest posts

Back