Bottles bubbling immediately after priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentish Mike

Reaction score
So I just racked my beer (Peach & Pecan Dunkelweisen) to bottles, and rested the caps on top. I then added priming sugar (syrup ~5g demerara sugar) and before I had a chance to start sealing them, I noticed that they are starting make a tinkling noise, as gas evolves... is this too vigorous? Will my bottles explode if I seal the caps now? FG is a little high... 1.014

Attachments

• 20221104_165252.mp4
    27.2 MB
Further info:
Targeting 3.2 volumes CO2.
Usually I batch prime but today I did each bottle individually. 500 mL bottles, variety of brands.
WLP300
OG 1.052
SG when racking to secondary 1.012 (added the equivalent of 137 g sugar as canned peaches in juice at this point) batch size 13.5 L

Last edited:
Your beer will have quite a high level of dissolved co2 in it from fermentation. Well one atmosphere worth... Adding sugar is basically adding lots of nucleation points, which will let the co2 out of suspension.
Perfectly normal and something I encourage on bottling day, as it displaces most of the oxygen in the headspace of the bottle before capping.

Back