Bottling from a keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dub

Reaction score
Evening

I kegged 10 ltrs of porter around february and having supped 1 mini keg and been impressed after 1 month i still have 5 ltrs left and hopefully it should be even better.

A few people have shown interest in this dark ale and would like to sample,so my question is could i fill a few bottles from the keg ??
Would they keep for a few days /weeks ok??

And would they need re-priming ??

If the answer is no to these then i will have to drink it all myself :grin:

Cheers

if its carbonated enough for u to drink from the keg then it should be fine, you shouldnt need to re-prime. just make sure your bottles are sanitised obviously.

Couple of points

Oxygen knocks the stuffing out of beers even before they get oxidised.

Flush the bottles with CO2 before bottling
use a tube or little bottler to get to the bottom and do not splash
Make sure there is no dead space, bubbles to the top before capping these are filled with CO2.
Use a number2 rubber stopper drilled to prevent over foaming of gassed beers.

There are some great clips on YouTube "alternative to beer gun" should get you close

Good luck

I tried bottling from the barrel and it was, quite simply, a disaster. The bottles, which were opened a matter of minutes later, produced a beer that was dead. The ale poured direct into a glass from the barrel was fine (not particularly fizzy, but good enough to sup) yet the bottled grog barely drinkable.

If you can chill the beer right down then you wont loose so much fizz on filling :thumb:

I've always had very good results from bottling from the keg.
As I don't like fizzy beer, my kegs are only pressurised to 1.5 psi, just enough to serve from a top tap.
Fill the bottles so that there is no air space below the cap.

I primed and bottled the last few pints of a Muntons Smugglers and a St Peter's IPA from a normal plastic pressure keg after about 1 month and a half and they were fine. Just keep the bottles somewhere warm for a week or so to encourage the secondary fermentation and then they are good to go. I drank the bottles about a three weeks after bottling and it was much nicer than when it was in the keg.

Back