Bottling how long should I wait?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomR

Reaction score
Hi generally how long after fermenting stops do you bottle beer?
Mines been fermenting 6 days. Stopped bubbling yesterday.

Do you have a hydrometer? This is the best way to check for fermentation, because the bubbling isn't really a good indicator of activity.

To answer your question, 2 weeks in the fermenter is pretty standard and a good rule of thumb.

Thanks. I've never used a hydrometer. Always just had a sneaky taste to see if the sweetness has gone.

Ah a man who likes to live dangerously, cool acheers.

But get a hydrometer, they're cheap and if nothing else at least you'll know the ABV of your brew.

Absolutely. A hydrometer's an absolute must if you're bottling. There are other reasons why a fermentation might have stopped: temperature drop, yeast dropping out of suspension; you don't want it starting up again in the bottle!

I never bottle before day 14 but you really need a hydrometer to work out what is going on. Recently bottled one batch after 3 weeks and even that was too early - yeast was a long and slow fermenter.

Ha. It's adds an element of surprise
But yes I should get a hydrometer. I never know the final strength but it always tastes pretty good

Latest posts

Back