Bread baking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look spectacular Alistair!

I wish I had time this week to get your sourdough starter moving but I'm afraid the best I could do today was a 50/50 wholemeal "chuck it in the breadmaker" effort. Next week...

Still a million times better than a shop loaf mind... :thumb:

I used to make bread before we made a family

now the toddlers take my evening, but I will get back to it one day

I use fresh yeast and a starter

and you can't beat the organic malted grain flour from waitrose :thumb:

put the oven on minimum just to warm it slightly, then turn it off.
just enough to make a nice environment to rise the dough

I don't think I have my old recipy anymore
but I always used some honey for the yeast
and the flour I mentiond is just brilliant
I often mixed some white flour with the malted
to make a lighter loaf.

never used a machine, always made mine by hand

That's a decent price.

Breadmakers are superb, bread that is wildly better than shop bought and a great start into understanding the bread making process.

Also fantastic when you're short on time and still want awesome bread. :thumb:

Any tips on making bread last longer??
Made some by hand the other day and the day after they were like rocks.

I fancy having a go with live bakers yeast on a standard ***** bloomer, does anyone have a good old fashioned recipe to try??

Ta :-)

BB

sourdough last longer than normal yeast as well. I bake saturday morning 2 700g loaves what doesn't get eaten by sunday gets sliced frozen and used for my sandwiches.

BarnsleyBrewer said:

I fancy having a go with live bakers yeast on a standard ***** bloomer, does anyone have a good old fashioned recipe to try??

BB

Bread bin!

BarnsleyBrewer said:

BB

I take it you didn't read the manual that came with the JML vacuum sealer? If you had, then you'd notice that you can seal and freeze fresh bread and it'll last 12 months :-)

One other tip on keeping bread fresh and soft is to add some mashed potato to the mix (about 250g in a standard mix) this works well. The tip was offered last year on a Hairy Bikers program, it can be used in Sourdough as well.

Wouldn't recommend a cheap breadmaker, they're pretty ****.
I bought a cheap one once and it was such a hassle I never bothered, loafs usually came out underbaked and it was a bugger to clean. For £35 I doubt you're going to get no hassle bread which is the joy of the breadmaker.

I bought a decent panasonic one and I've used it every single day since I've owned it, it hasn't missed a beat neither, makes absolutely fantastic bread.

Which is ideal for in the week, it literally takes me 3 minutes to put in a loaf and I can have it timed for when I wake up in the morning. Big 25kg bag of strong white flour from the cash and carry is pretty cheap, no doubt it's saved me a lot of money since I've owned it.

Pearlfisher said:
For those thinking of buying a bread maker ,Lidl's have them on sale from Monday at 34.95 ,they have excellent reviews.
Megaross said:
Wouldn't recommend a cheap breadmaker, they're pretty ****.
I bought a cheap one once and it was such a hassle I never bothered, loafs usually came out underbaked and it was a bugger to clean. For £35 I doubt you're going to get no hassle bread which is the joy of the breadmaker.

I bought a decent panasonic one and I've used it every single day since I've owned it, it hasn't missed a beat neither, makes absolutely fantastic bread.

Which is ideal for in the week, it literally takes me 3 minutes to put in a loaf and I can have it timed for when I wake up in the morning. Big 25kg bag of strong white flour from the cash and carry is pretty cheap, no doubt it's saved me a lot of money since I've owned it.

I've bought the Lidl one to try it ,we've also got a Panasonic which has been used 3 times a week since we bought it second hand off Ebay last year.
We're going to use the Lidl one which has a 3 year guarantee until it breaks ,then we've the Panasonic to fall back on.
I made a Ciabatta loaf in the week which was very good and I've a wholemeal one cooking now .
The loaf is a much better shape and easier to cut the the Panasonic ones as the Lidl pan is longer and shallower and has 2 paddles .

Been baking again, using my new 24hr ferment Baguette recipe.

First of all saturday morning 3x baguettes and a Little tin that my eldest made.

Trafford-20130907-00041_zps31cc8508.jpg

On Friday night half way through the process I realised I hadn't made enough dough for a loaf so more dough started which I baked after cooking a roast of saturday evening.

Trafford-20130907-00046_zps5fd1dccf.jpg

This one I coated with sesame seeds and also near the end of baking I sprayed the crust with water making a lovely soft but chewy crust.

This we demolished with a bowl of chicken and veg soup.

Trafford-20130908-00047_zps3067daf6.jpg

Pitty I don't seem to brew as often as I bake :lol: :lol:

Can you stop posting pictures of food, you are making me hungry!! :lol:

Bought some live yeast from Morrisons, does anyone use it??

When I was younger i'm sure that when my grandma made bread she added lard...... Would this be correct???

BB

You can add fats to bread I occasionally use butter or olive oil. :thumb: :thumb:

Back