breakspere special.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam51

Reaction score
hi all i am going to make a breakspear special.
using a partial mash. can some one tell me
how much liquid malt to use
and much grain to use.
i dont fully understand GW METHOD or recipe for this partial mash.
i just made graham wheelers breakspear bitter , although it was
very good it lacked some body. so must have not got quite
correct. still learning and not that confident of going all grain.
thanks sam.

This might be of help.
A Simple Guide to Extract Brewing
If you look through the GW recipes, there are some with and some without extract equivalents. The ones that do not have an extract equivalent have Torrified Wheat in there which requires mashing with a diastase containing grain, and since the malt extract available nowadays had no diastase there is no way of mashing the TW. The way round this is to convert the GW AG recipe into an all ME equivalent, by using 1kg Pale Malt= 750g LME= 650g DME, but then put back enough pale malt to mash the TW. I usually work on the ratio 100g TW requires 250g PM. So a hypothetical GW recipe calling for 3600g PM and 200g TW will be equivalent to 3600x 0.75 =2700g LME, less the LME equivalent of 500g PM need to mash the 200g TW. So the final recipe becomes 2700-(500x0.75)=2325g LME, 500g PM and 200g TW. Hope this helps and is not too confusing!

sorry for been a bit dense, if i use 2 0r 3 kg of liquid malt, how much grain do i use,
and do i need to add anything else. thanks.

thanks looked at the link,
so is this right To convert recipes a simple approximate conversion is 1kg Pale Malt = 750g LME = 650g DME. GW recipe states for the extract recipe 19 ltrs = 2390 lme. so if i use 1 kg of lme,
i can use around 2kg of grain.

Back