Brew Con World Series V

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scored 24 for our green hop beer, which we entered as an English IPA. Too much diacetyl.

Scored 37 for our milk stout entered under 16A Sweet Stouts without placing. Does anyone know what the winning scores were for this category?
Assuming your Milk Stout was lumped in on table 4 British, Irish and Imperial Stouts then I can tell you that my 3rd place beer on this table scored 40 points.

The absolute score however, does not always determine the placings on the table, judges palates can change during the flight, so what will often happen is that they will revisit the highest scoring half a dozen or so beers on a table and reassess then against each other to determine a 1,2,3. so you can sometimes find that a beer that scores high might actually be placed lower than another beer (judges do not revise the scoring when reassessing).

So absolute scores can be misleading....I won a category once with a 31 point beer. It was the first beer judged in the flight in the morning session.

Looking forward to the feedback for this.
I took a modest 30 home with this, feedback was pretty cut and dry. The base of the rauch was good, a little low on the hop front (but I figured I would need a lower level if I wanted to introduce some wild friends).

The main issue was that the Brett side of things could have been bigger, it was too subtle and left more of an infection impression than a full bretty vibe.

Tricky one to take forward as it's one of the only factors of a beer I wouldn't want to control as it kind of defeats the point of it. I have a standard lager on the shelf which has been put through a similar process for the past couple of months. So I will see what this comes out like..

BIPA scored 26 - not hoppy enough for the judges. In reality it was auite heavily hopped but was trying to incorporate Harlequin and whilst it brings the flavours the punch just isn't as hard!

Yeah I can imagine. How much hops did you use out of interest?
Malt and hop bill below, 200g of Harlequin, and a little Sabro in there (had some freebies from Yakima Chief). Perhaps more assertive bitterness at the start would've been closer to style. 19L Batch

Attachments

• 20221104_130240.jpg
    20221104_130240.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
Malt and hop bill below, 200g of Harlequin, and a little Sabro in there (had some freebies from Yakima Chief). Perhaps more assertive bitterness at the start would've been closer to style. 19L Batch
I have used harlequin a few times, it's a nice hop. It's meant to be the English mosaic which is a bit of a stretch. It's a bit like me telling the young boy that I am built like Black Adam 😂

37 for my pumpkin stout and 38 for my Marzen (1st place winner). Great comments and feedback and some good things to take away for the next brew!
I still only have the one score on my account. I’m assuming they weren’t doing them in table order because your winner was table 12, and I haven’t had my scores from my table 6 and table 11 entries.

I don’t have high hopes for my table 11 beer, it’s one of the worst beers I’ve brewed in ages!

Got some feedback..happy with both scores so far. Belgian pale.i entered into Brewcon for my first comp and it wanted to see if I could better the score(got 36pts first time) , so improves with 38pts. Saison score Im.happy with also, first time using the yeast and I didn't think I finished dry enough for my taste so happy with the score
Screenshot_20221106-211229.jpg

All results now in for me

Got 41 for my Smoked Dopplebock.....tough school....not even a place!!! (not sure what table this would have been on....possibly the last as there was no specific smoked beer table)

30 for my Baltic Porter but I suspect it has not aged well over the summer and is not the beer it was back in July when it scored 40+ in the ACB comp.....guess this one was on table 12.

Still waiting on my American IPA and dregs in the keg….

Is 5 weeks normal for comp feedback?

Latest posts

Back