Brew day #2 . Dupont Saison Clone - Grainfather G30

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamHobden

Reaction score
What a day! This whole beer thing is a lot harder than it looks…

Clean everything, all good. Mash liquor up to temp and start the mash.. all appears good. Add top plate, Grainfather filter, overflow thingy on the top of the pipe and start the 60 min mash.

About 15 mins in the top plate drops down taking the overflow thingy and filter all below the liquid line.. not sure what happened, I assume the malt compacts, but to have everything drop like that was strange.. any one else experienced it?

Anyway. Paused the mash and managed to raise the plate above the waterline and managed to get through the 60 mins.

Really slow sparge.. onto the boil and the wort was absolutely full of grain. Tried to fish as much out as possible using a sieve an managed to scold the back of my hand in the process ..

Finally, pumped a thick wort using a hop bag at the fermentor end to filter the wort. Ended up 2l short on volume and missed my OG . 1.060 instead of 1.065.

Cleared up washed up, had dinner and then realised I’d forgotten to pitch the yeast ! That’s now corrected and I have bubbles coming from the fermentor.

If I manage to get anything drinkable out of this I’ll be amazed. All experience and learning I guess, but I’m still wondering why that top plate dropped. All the seals and everything were still on around the edge of the plate

2670AC22-77CA-4FBD-9443-D8F8056FAE55.jpeg
9C655C90-4A99-494C-9404-769491F9C07C.jpeg

I reckon you'll get something drinkable. Can't offer any words of wisdom regarding the grainfather having never used one, but I'm sure you'll crack it. 👍

Back