Brewing with 2 GrainFather G30’s-How Would you use them?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
also bonus!
morning solar leccy is free!
brew on!
IMG_7307.jpeg

Better still you could just sell the one with the short cable.

Interesting electrical discussion aside. Have we established any brewday benefits to this folly 😁😁
too right pal!
really thank you all from bottom of my ❤️ couldn’t do it without yous.
otherwise the grim reaper will visit in a flash!
btw it’s a tropical pale 🍺 ale
new hops i’m trying Nectaron
lataz
keep safe, love you all.
Bri

Mint!
What did I say about blinkers on!
Hmmm! If a normal kettle lead, ill look in my pc draw of leads, if not buy!
Be aware that whilst they use the physical same plug, a lot of computer leads will have a lower rating (and may come with a smaller 5A fuse). I'd check before just using a computer lead as it may just blow the fuse in the plug when you fire it up. If it's got a 5A fuse, do not just plug a bigger fuse in as the cable won't safely handle the load!

got one o them testers laddo’s
i choose a 15l boil up test.
cost i’ll have see how much Shell charges but i want to 35p

IMG_7358.jpeg
reset to zero
then fired up max wattage for boil
IMG_7359.jpeg
IMG_7360.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7357.jpeg
    IMG_7357.jpeg
    44 KB · Views: 0
obv i’m not able to plug in the the main socket, so my trusty extension had to do.
as i mentioned it’ll be using solar, so should be FREE.
just incase i gor reading on the smart meter.
but alas the lads comes back in new year to sort the app! 🥴🤬
this test is combined with my changes i had to make with the wort chilling during brewday from hell

Well guys n girls.
Your clever than me! so what did we find out?
for all soar is on, the smart meter readed.
start.jpg

ill just fire the readings. (if not in order youll suss it)
time n stuff to get to mash in temp
IMG_7360.jpg
total time n KWh
final k-hour.jpg
lowest
low.jpg
Highest

high final reading.jpg
cost
final cost.jpg
Smart meter
finish.jpg

Btw the pump is
pump wattage.jpg
Well after all this goings on, STILL NOT TO TEST THE WHOLE REASON OF THE THREAD! sorry itll be in new year.
But same time i managed to sort out my wort chiller nighmare, over on my brewday thread.

So is that an electricity cost of 56.98 pence? Just for the mash? Does that take into account your solar panels?

If its on a FITS tariff it's only a notional 57p (free). Deemed its about 4p per kW Else it's sold export @ 49p, in which case I would brew in the dark.😁

Last edited:
Last month my electricity bill was $111. 54 in credit, the FIT is still 66cents per kWh, and the peak charge is 42 cents per kWh it was about 14 or 18 cents when I signed on to solar 15 years ago. There are times when I could almost vote Labor. My FIT stops in November next year but the Labor government is subsidising solar to net value, and batteries at 50% off. I may be off the grid next year.

morning.
🥴🧠🤔🤕
hehe! someone is doing numbers n stuff that i struggle with 🙄.
All i know is i got a bloke from Eon coming to check the work lata. alas the solar app couldn’t get to work in final fix, coming back 2nd Jan.
i’ll ask the bloke on my leccy.
between the solar & my smart meter should see a drop on leccy bill.
i’ve got small fan heaters situated in the rooms that we need to be in.
no point using gas radiators to heat whole house if ‘Banked’ leccy is free.
at least the instal is set up eventually for a bank o battery’s, and the system isn’t a cheapy off the shelf.
we’ve all ben there buy ****, buy twice.
as i said yesterday, only way to proper test it is on brewday.
a double brewday.
BTW, it was full boil, i documented at mash in time & temp.
i’d have to wait for a big boil (27litres) normally 17-17.5 mash & 13/14 sparge.
Chrismas lights for the mood lol.
IMG_7394.jpeg

bloke says 27p a unit, but will rise! no 💩sherlock!
help iz oot here as far as A UNIT?
got confused with K per hour, watts, volts lol
A unit is a kilowatt-hour (kWh). So a 1000 watt (1 kW) load running continuously for 1 hour consumes one unit. A 2000 watt (2 kW) load running continuously for half an hour also consumes 1 unit.

A 2000 watt (2 kW) load running continuously for 1 hour consumes 2 units etc.

Last edited:
Jan 2nd 24.
was pottering on in the brewery. and got thinking (here we go!)
All tense and purposes the two G30 + GF HLT is going to be a three tier system. but if i use G30 1# for the total mash & sparge water, no need for the GF 16l HlT.
testing under filling the mash water into G30 2#.
using extended recurc. arm.
dialled in mash volume in calculator and using old trusty vol paddle.
IMG_7534.jpeg
Hoping this year to grab the new malt pipe from G30v3,
the only thing i’m be not so much worried is after sparge and ready to boil, Transfer wort over to 1# for boil!
a bit o faff on! let alone the losses.
butttt! like old days not a prob to work out losses into the equation!
as a thought if i got two g30’s why not uses them, maybe not as efficient in time, but hope yous understand.
Dialling the whole brewday is going to be enjoyable.
bri

Attachments

• IMG_7535.jpeg
    IMG_7535.jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
Hoping this year to grab the new malt pipe from G30v3
I'm very tempted to do the same, but I dislike the fact that I don't know what to do with the existing malt pipe. I don't have room to store it, I can't believe there's much demand for it on the second hand market and taking it to the tip seems like a huge waste considering it's largely the same as the v3 malt pipe but with fewer perforations!

I really wish there was some kind of exchange scheme.

LADS YOU SAW THE PRICE?
I've already forked out for the rolled bottom n top plates, then the over flow filter then the hops filter that got launched after the boil cut off n try to reset!!
All these will stay on the version 1, looking at the new malt pipe for the version 2 (connect).
barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! if i saved up imagine 3 blumming G30's.
I know i like shiny shiny shiny but three bit over kill.:laugh8::confused.:

Back